Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows won't load anymore  (Read 2992 times)

mkeathb

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Giggady giggady
    Windows won't load anymore
    « on: March 07, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »
    Hey everyone, I have a dell inspiron 1520 that wont come up anymore.  I havent loaded any new sofware (or hardware) to it and when you power it on it comes to the menu that says windows failed to load and gives me two options.  I can choose to start windows normally, or start repair process.  It doesnt matter which one I choose because the screen will go blank and then immediately back to the windows didnt start screen.  I tried starting in safe mode, safe mode with networking, and safe mode with command prompt.  Nothing works.....  Any ideas?

Thanks!

truenorth

Guru

Re: Windows won't load anymore
      « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:09 AM »
      Have you tried to enter the "repair" mode? What is the status of the laptop re warranty? What was the last thing you were doing just prior to this occurrence? truenorth

mkeathb

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Giggady giggady
        « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »
        When I enter repair mode, it goes blank and goes back to the windows did not start screen.  I sent an email, shut it down, put it back in the case, opened it up four days later and it didn't ever come on.   Warranty is gone I am sure since it is a couple years old.   Thanks for your help

msd1835

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:57:11 AM »
          I've dealt with this kind of thing before;  Sometimes you can put in your windows restart disc that comes with your computer and boot from disc.  From there choose to repair windows. Granted nine times out of 10 this does not work, but I has worked for me once.  Another option is just to use the same disc to return your computer to the way you got it(you will loose everything on your hard drive, so i would remove the hard drive and backup on another drive on another computer).

This kind of thing usually happens to me when my computer either shuts down during or freezes during a windows update.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
          What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

mkeathb

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Giggady giggady
            « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »
            Nothing has changed since it worked last.   I sent a few emails, shut it down and it sat for a few days then wont come back to life.  I bought a new hard drive to reload windows and it said that no hard drive was found (although it did recognize it in bios).   I am completely stumped.   Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Crafty

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:27:56 AM »
            Are you using a windows disk to install the OS and is the CD set to boot first in the bios?

mkeathb

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Giggady giggady
              « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »
              I do not have a vista disk, it did not come with one (thaanks best buy).   When I tried loading XP on the new hard drive, windows said there was no hard drive installed....