Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade HDD from SATA 2.0 to SATA 3.0 connectors ?  (Read 3142 times)

xSociety

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Upgrade HDD from SATA 2.0 to SATA 3.0 connectors ?
« on: March 30, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »
Okay, so my question is what complications, if any, will I have if I recently realized that my mobo has SATA 6Gbps support and I have my two HDDs in RAID-0 plugged into the older SATA 3 Gbps slots and I wanted to unplug them and hook them up to the newer and better SATA 3.0s? I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any catastrophic problems when trying to switch the connectors.

Will I just have to go into the BIOS and change something first or will it work automatically? Thanks in advance.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Upgrade HDD from SATA 2.0 to SATA 3.0 connectors ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »
SATA 6Gbps ports might not support RAID-0.  Why would you need or want RAID-0 with SATA 6Gbps or 3Gbps?

xSociety

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
I know it supports it because it says it does on the website. I know it's mostly marketing but it says "SATA 3.0 up to 4x speed via RAID 0." I already have them in RAID 0 just hooked up to the 2.0 ports. I don't really NEED RAID 0 but I was able to get a second drive for really cheap and RAID 0 makes two drives into one whilst giving a slight performance boost.

So my thought process is why not plug them into the faster ports and see if Gigabyte's marketing team is just really good or if I do get a faster read/write speed.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »
The problem with RAID-0 is it doubles the chances of losing the computer.  If you lose either hard drive, it won't boot.  RAID-1 is a much better option.  As for RAID-0 performance, it may be measureable but you will never notice any difference.  Plug them into the other ports & see what happens, shouldn't hurt anything.  I assume the drives are SATA 3.0?

xSociety

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »
Yea, they are. I do have an external drive backing up all of it though.

I'll try later, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:51:57 PM by xSociety »