Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help! Installed new hard drive  (Read 2238 times)

lisa38

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Need help! Installed new hard drive
    « on: April 01, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here is my story....I have xp and 2 hard drives. One is 20gb and the other is 40gb. The 40 is just for my pics and stuff, the 20 has xp and all programs, so I get a 60gb hard drive and thought I would just transfer everything over, I figured it would just go over what was on the 60gb before I started. Ya right! Stupid idea! So now I have installed the new 60gb and the 40 has stayed where it is and is fine. I thought that the xp I had on my 20 would just go over the one that was already installed on the 20, wrong again. So I believe I have transferred everything over but I cant get any drivers to work. So now I have the 20gb HD I took out of the computer hooked up to the external reader. I have the 60 gb HD installed with everything on it from my 20gb HD (I believe) except the xp. It has the XP that was already installed on the new hard drive, but I wanted the XP from my 20 gb HD. I believe that is why I cant get any drivers to work. Please help! I hope I explained correctly. Any help would be so appreciated.

Lisa

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Need help! Installed new hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »
    I'm not sure I understand. Did you actually install XP on the new drive? If not, you can't just copy it from one drive to another and expect it to boot. You need to use disc imaging software such as Macrium Reflect. Create an image of the original 20 Gb drive and then restore it to the new drive. Then you'll be able to boot to the new drive.

lisa38

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
      No I didn't install xp, it was already on the new HD I put in. I just thought that when I transfered everything over that the xp on the old HD would just go over the xp that was on the new HD. But I dont think it did, I think that is why I am having problems finding any drivers for the ethernet controller, multimedia Audio Controller, and network controller. Any ideas anyone??

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »
      ...Any ideas anyone??
      Follow Allans's instructions.