Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 questions-HP DeskTop and Emachines Desktop C/DVD Drive  (Read 6347 times)

TREX294

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    2 questions-HP DeskTop and Emachines Desktop C/DVD Drive
    « on: April 10, 2011, 04:08:07 AM »
    I am trying to replace a CD/DVD Drive on both of these computers. I purchased a new one from Best Buy but doesn't seem to be compatiable with the wiring harness already installed in the Desktop. Is there specific information I should look for on the original drives to bring to Best Buy for new drives? if so what should I be looking for.

On the HP when I try to start it up it is showing a "Boot error". I have tried everything I can think of which isn't much to get it to run properly, it started doing that after I got up from my desk one time and the CD Drive was open and I bent it. I really don't need this Desktop for much anymore as it is getting old but I do have a dozen family reunion pictures I would like to try and retrieve from it if possible. Is there a way to get any pictures from that too a new desktop or CD or ??

Thanks. T-REX
    <email address removed>
    « Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:23:41 AM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

Salmon Trout

Re: 2 questions-HP DeskTop and Emachines Desktop C/DVD Drive
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:42:04 AM »
    See image below. Do the connections to the old drives in the desktops look like one of these pictures, and does the new one you bought look like the other picture? If so, which?

TREX294

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 04:52:00 AM »
      The drive that is in there now looks like the bottom pic with the 2 connections, however those 2 connections don't fit into the new CD drive.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:58:41 AM »
      Does the new CD drive look like the top one? (That is, with a wide connector with 40 pins) What is its make and model? Perhaps you could tell us the make and model of each computer and each drive, old and new?

TREX294

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:11:42 AM »
        I don't have that info with me as I am at work. However both appear to look like the bottom picture, just a different width connection, They both look like they just need to be plugged in but wont' fit. Thats why I was thinking maybe there was a specific drive I was suppose to buy instead of just any old Cd Drive but I was told by one of the Best Buy employees that it would work.

TREX294

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 05:12:38 AM »
          I am back at work tonight, please let me know what information I should get for you and I will be glad to do that as you are taking your time out to help me. Do you want to contact me on my personal email (<email address removed>) or continue on here.

Thanks, Darren
          « Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:23:29 AM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:20:59 AM »
          I am back at work tonight, please let me know what information I should get for you and I will be glad to do that as you are taking your time out to help me. Do you want to contact me on my personal email ([email protected]) or continue on here.

It is against the forum rules to post your email address, and it will be removed. All exchanges must be in the thread that you started. I posted above the information required. Here it is again. If you have a digital camera you could try taking some pictures and uploading them.

the new CD drive [...] What is its make and model? Perhaps you could tell us the make and model of each computer and each drive, old and new?

TREX294

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 07:59:25 PM »
            Here is the information that was needed last night.

HP DVD writer Model TS-H653 

EM-Super Multi DVD Re-writer. Model CH41N

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 11:56:26 PM »
            HP DVD writer Model TS-H653 is a SATA drive made by Samsung. What model is the E-Machines computer, and what make and model is the new drive?