Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problems with detecting cd  (Read 3133 times)

majv

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    problems with detecting cd
    « on: April 10, 2011, 04:27:15 AM »
    Hey guys!

I have a kinda weird problem.

Few years ago I bought games-Age of Conan,Call of Duty 4 and LOTR:Battle for middle earth 1,2 and Rise of the witch king and AION.I installed them and I normally played them.Then some time ago I took Call of Duty 4 and LOTR:BFME 1,2 and ROWK and AION to my friends house and installed them there and played them there.I didn't take Age of Conan though.

Then after some time I took them home.I tried playing CoD 4 and LOTR:BFME again but it didn't detect the cd's.I could play aion though as it didn't need cd's to run.i tried uninstalling but it still couldn't detect them.So i uninstalled LOTR:BFME.I left CoD4 cause i could still play multiplayer.Then after some time i need space on my computer so i deleted Age of Conan.But few days ago I felt like playing age of conan again so I tried installing it but again it wouldn't detect the cd.The same went for other games but the difference was that Age Of Conan was the only game i didnt install on other computer and it still didn't work.

So I thought the only problems could be,that the discs are to strached or the thing that detects cd's is broken.So I tried installing all the cd's on another friends computer and they worked.Then I tried installing some other games and my computer detected the cd's.

So i'm a little confused how could i fix it.I did update my video and sound drivers meanwhile if that matters.I run Windows XP, and when i check drivers it says Optiarc DVD RW AD-5200A and WTQ MB45INW9A SCSI CDrom Device.

I would really appreciate help.I'm a complete noob about these things so if you have any ideas how to fix it i would be happy if you would leave detailed instructions and if you need other information please let me know.

~M

Salmon Trout

Re: problems with detecting cd
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »
    Are the disks you are talking about CDs or DVDs? Check if the Sony Optiarc drive detects other disks. Check both CDs and DVDs. Were the "other games" on CD or DVD?

majv

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 04:45:19 AM »
      sorry for being a noob but how do i see a difference between a cd and dvd?and how can i check if it detects other discs?

i just put Guild wars Factions disc in it and it detected it

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:56:44 AM »
      sorry for being a noob but how do i see a difference between a cd and dvd?

Try entertainment disks. a CD has music on it and a DVD has a movie.

A DVD may have a logo like this on it

A CD may have a logo like this

and how can i check if it detects other discs?

You press the little button on the drive so the tray slides out, put the disk in the drive, then make the tray slide back in either by pressing the button again or pushing the tray gently with your finger, and then you watch and listen to see what the drive and computer do.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:24:17 AM by Salmon Trout »

majv

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:11:12 AM »
        ok i checked

All dvd's don't work and all cd's work

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 05:16:59 AM »
        All dvd's don't work and all cd's work

You almost certainly need a new drive. They cost about $25.