Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: temp user profile created for login ~ how to get my data back  (Read 3673 times)

mikora7

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi,
    The hard drive on our laptop was crashing so we bought a new one, used Apricorn EZgig software to clone the hard drive to the new drive and installed the new drive into the laptop.  It was working great last night but this morning I got a log in profile error that says the profile could be corrupt and it was logging me in with a temp one.  I did search the forums here and found one thread regarding this issue but the solutions offered are a bit beyond what I know how to do with a pc. 
    I understand that the profile is probably lost for good, and I'm okay with that, but I'd like to get the kids gaming files.  I do have the old hard drive on an external drive but I don't have a clue how to access them there. 
    I can log in with the other profiles but the game data is not on them, only on *my* profile (which is the one that won't start up.) 
    In the most simple terms, is there a way to transfer the files from the external hard drive (the one that I used until last night when I cloned it) or transfer them (easily) from the old profile to the new one that I had to create?
    Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Tina

Fleexy

Intermediate

• OW NEXT TIME I SHOULD TURN IT OFF BEFORE SERVICING
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: temp user profile created for login ~ how to get my data back
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
    From what you've said, it looks like only the login data has been lost.  The files should still be under:

X:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents

Replace X with your main drive letter (probably C) and Username with the original name of the user account.

-Fleexy
    I love .NET!

mikora7

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: temp user profile created for login ~ how to get my data back
      « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »
      Sorry, I've got an Apple Mac background and I'm still getting lost in the world of pc's. 
      Do I look for that folder from the new user profile?  And then I can transfer over from that acct by dragging the files to the new acct?   Or is there another method I need to use?

Also, my son did get the profile to load once ~ if I can get it to load again, is there a shared folder that I can move the files into that I can then pull the files off of from the new profile? 

Thanks for helping us with this ~ I really appreciate it!

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/