Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help to turn audio back on.  (Read 2685 times)

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • My pal Sharky
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Need help to turn audio back on.
    « on: April 18, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »
    I recent bought a new PC, with Windows 7.  I gave my old PC (still in great shape), with Windows XP Professional, to a friend who lives 200 miles away.

While mostly a novice, he is getting along well with it except for one issue -  sound.  With my phone and email help he bought and installed a pair of Logitek speakers using the "pea green" stereo output jack on the PC.  He receives the Windows sign-on music loud and clear each time he turns the PC on.  However, when he surfs to a website which includes audio with the visual (you tube, etc.) he sees the visual information, but hears no audio.  I was using the PC, when I had it, to input and edit external audio, and I had probably reset some of the software switching. Working with him on the phone, I have not been able to talk him through the sound windows to effect a fix, since I can't see his XP screen.

Can someone provide us a step by step sequence of instructions (click START, click CONTROL PANEL, click...) to go into the software, and reconnect audio coming from internet sources to the speakers?  ???

jcmack

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Need help to turn audio back on.
      « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
      Go to control panel. Select "System". Select hardware tab. Select "device manager". Scroll down to sound, video controllers. Open sound video controllers. Is there a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it? If so, your missing a sound card, or on board sound driver.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
      What about music CDs? Can he hear sound from those?

Is it just flash videos that have the problem?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • My pal Sharky
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:50:15 PM »
        What about music CDs? Can he hear sound from those?

Is it just flash videos that have the problem?

Bingo!  You're the man!  8)

I got in touch with my friend this morning, and had him put an audio CD in the disc burner/player.  A window opened on the screen asking him if he wanted to play the CD using Windows Media Player.  I immediately had him click on it, and the CD audio filled the room.  I then had him remove the CD and go to a youtube sight with audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxvgM9zQc7c

The sound of my daughter's ukulele band, "Tiny Tim Overdrive", then filled the room.  It's interesting.  That's all it took to get the audio working.

Thanks once again.