Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer has black screen on start up  (Read 2697 times)

dude12345

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer has black screen on start up
    « on: April 20, 2011, 11:05:10 AM »
    Ok so my Dell Inspiron 1526 laptop with Windows Vista is having problems. I turn the laptop on and all I get is a black screen. The blue power button is on but the screen shows nothing, not even a start up screen. I tried the whole process of taking out the battery and holding the power button for 60 seconds, and then putting the battery back in. That actually gets the laptop to work and to start up correctly. However, after I turn it off and come back to use it the next time, it goes back to the same problem with the black screen and i end up having to take the battery out and hold the power button again for it to work. I dont want to have to do this every time I want to use the computer, can someone here please help me? Do you think I need a new battery?

truenorth

Guru

Re: Computer has black screen on start up
      « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
      If you have access to a battery supply store they can test it for you. How old is the battery? Does the laptop work properly if the battery is removed and it is run only off the power supply? truenorth

dude12345

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
        Thank you for the response. The battery came with my laptop, which is about a few years old so the battery is about a few years old as well. If the battery is removed but the charger is plugged in, the problem still persists. So does this mean that the problem is most likely not the battery???

Do you know of any places that could test it for me in the boston area? I tried google searching but couldn't find anything

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »
        Try this 1st:
        When the DELL™ logo appears, press <F12> immediately.  Select Diagnostics from the boot menu, and then press <Enter>.
        But:
        I'm thinking it needs a new CMOS battery:  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1526/en/SM/coinbatt.htm#wp1179839

dude12345

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »
          There is no Dell Logo, that's what I mean....I turn the computer on and nothing shows up at all, just a blank screen, that's it. Sorry for the confusion.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »
          ...I tried the whole process of taking out the battery and holding the power button for 60 seconds, and then putting the battery back in. That actually gets the laptop to work and to start up correctly. ...
          What does this mean?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »
            I believe what CC is suggesting is when you create this situation to do your test "I tried the whole process of taking out the battery and holding the power button for 60 seconds, and then putting the battery back in. That actually gets the laptop to work and to start up correctly." Your charger should also be a power supply and should work without a battery in it. Given your location in such a large city any computer store should be able to test your battery. truenorth