Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Presario c500 as, hhd, battery light blink constantly w/o good battery  (Read 7211 times)

fatwabbitt

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    My Compaq Presario c500 will not turn on when plugged int a/c power.  The indicator lights constantly blink or flicker,  If I unplug a/c and install a charged battery the indicator lights glow constant an the machine will boot on.  If I then plug in the a/c power, the machine will function properly as long as the battery has a charge.  The charge does not run down as fast when the a/c is plugged in as it does when operating on battery alone.  I have changed the hard drive, ram and power jack, checked for driver updates and current BIOS all to no avail.  Short of trashing the motherboard, is there anything else I can do to try to resolve this problem?  I have heard o several otters having the same problem wit their C500 and one person with the same or a similar problem with a Toshiba L305.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Sounds like power supply is weak if it cant keep up with draw to keep laptop running. The boot with power supply attached and having problems sure sounds like a weak power supply. Do you have a meter available to measure the voltage under load to make sure its stabile and not pulsing or too low? Or a second power supply adapter to eliminate this?

fatwabbitt

Topic Starter

Starter

I just tried it with three different, known good power supplies with the same flickering results.  I agree, it sounds like it's not getting enough power from the a/c supple which is why I changed out the power jack ad connector.  I suppose it's possible the second one I used was also defective.  I don't know enough about circuit boards to check the circuit from the power jack cable and the motherboard which I suppose could be weak or have a crack in the solider???  I know just enough to get into trouble if I start trying to do more than the basics!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      You had 3 Compaq laptop PSU's just lying around ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fatwabbitt

Topic Starter

Starter

I have nine Compaq Laptops "just lying around".  I buy ones with problems I can fix and are at a respectible price, fix them then sell them a a very reduced price or donate them to studets, economically disadvantaged persons and the like. I live on  fixed income (soc sec disability) and know what it's like to need something for school, work, or to just make life better and it's my way of giving back by helping to provide computers to those who might not otherwise be able to afford one.  I enjoy the challange of figuring out what's wrong with the computer, taking a unusable one and returning it to functionality if I can even though it can be frustrating at times.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        Nice...
        You are to be commended for your efforts...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fatwabbitt

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks!  This problem with the power on issue really has me stumped. I think I may end up either using the machine for parts of wait to get another motherboard for it.  I've tried everything I can think of.  Hopefully one of you more experienced, more know ledgable  members will have  solution.