Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help needed with copying files with very long *pathnames* -- plz & thnx!  (Read 2860 times)

nhmxxx

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello folks:
    I am trying to copy a folder to another disk -- on Windows 7.
    The folder has subfolders and files, and this way there are many hierarchical subfolders. So the files down at the bottommost subfolders have really long path-names from the root folder. That is: the path-name, e.g., folder\sub-folder\sub-sub-folder\.....\file is quite long.

Now, the standard drag and drop (or copy and paste) does not work satisfactorily. It complains that the path-names are too long. I would rather not move the affected folders and files higher up in the hierarchy to shorten the path-names because logically they belong to where they are now.

So, the question is if someone really knows how to copy such hierarchically deep folders. I am not sure but someone told me that the *Copy/Paste* cannot handle path-names longer than 164 characters. My file path-names are much longer than 164 characters.

Also, I tried *Robocopy* (available from Microsoft tech. site) which supposedly copies files with long path-names. The problem I ran into here was that the *number* of folders and files in the destination drive is *not* the same (after copying) as that at source. So, I really have no faith that *every* folder and file has been copied by *Robocopy*.

If someone has some tips for me I would greatly appreciate that.
    Thanks very much.
    nhmxxx

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    In Windows 7 and Vista one can synchronize two folders. Have you looked in this as a possible solution?
    This may provide some helpful information.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Sync-Center-frequently-asked-questions

nhmxxx

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks Geek for your speedy reply; much appreciated.
      So I have used *iomega* external drive and it had features to do a backup on the fly or at scheduled times.
      This worked for folders and files there were not hierarchically deep (i.e., long paths). May times, I had to shorten file or folder names so that it would do the backup of these. Very frustrating ....

So, what I need is a tool that would copy my source folders and files, no matter how long the path names are, to the destination drive.
      Now, *Robocopy* (http://www.sqlmag.com/article/sql-server/tool-tip-the-awesomeness-of-robocopy) I believe does that but the result shows that the number of folders and files in the source and destination are *not* the same after doing the Robocopy. Thus, my confidence is rather low that everything has been copies to the destination drive.

Any more ideas?
      cheers and thanks for now!!!
      nhmxxx

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      No solution yet.
      First identify the problem.

From IBM. May apple to Windows also.

Folder hierarchy depth and path length limitations
      http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cmgmt/v8r4m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.installingcmqkr.doc/qkrcf036.htm

nhmxxx

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks!!!!! will look into this .... and will appreciate it if you come across something that you think might be a solution.
        Cheers!!!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        More stuff.
        http://download.cnet.com/Path-Copy/3000-2072_4-10036463.html

There is a solution to this, but it ,is beyond my abilities.
        You need an stand alone application tat does not depend on Windows Explorer.
        Either a convoluted  script or maybe a C++ program.
        The issue is Windows Explorer.Any  Application that call into the Windows Explorer stuff will fail on extreme long path/file names.

The path, I thin k, can be 255 chars, and the file name can be 67 chars. Not sure where I saw that. Depth beyond 4 is an issue.

Yet apparently the system can actually do very long paths. Duh?