Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copy Contents of hdd to another hdd with Norton Ghost v14  (Read 5417 times)

tberry123

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Copy Contents of hdd to another hdd with Norton Ghost v14
    « on: May 05, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »
    I have a Dell desktop computer with a 3.8 ghz Pentium 4 processor.  All of my Hard Disk Drives are SATA type drives.  I have a 1TB HDD as my primary, and 250GB as a secondary hard disk installed on my computer.  On my Acer laptop, it came with a 160GB 2.5" HDD, split in half, 80GB on "C" and 80GB on "D".  To me that was an ineffective way to use the drive. In no time my C drive was crammed full, the D drive was less than 1/2 full and my laptop was beginning to have issues related to the full drive.  I did not know how to move the partition on the drive without losing all my data, so I bought a WD 500GB for a replacement. I went to Best Buy, and got a Thermaltake Black Widow Dual Hard Drive Docking Station, and hooked it up to my desktop computer. When I tried to use Windows System tools to clone the Acer drive onto the  WD 500GB replacement, I learned it would not make a true "clone" copy. So, I looked around and found that Norton Ghost would do what I needed to do. Upon further research  I read that I should get version 14, not 15; because 15 had issues copying SATA drives. So, now I have installed Norton Ghost V14 on my Dell desktop, have the docking station connected using USB, and the *censored* thing still will not copy onto the new drive.  *censored*.  Norton comes back with the error message that it  is unable to copy my drive because it has too many NTFS issues to deal with.  I have no idea how to get this resolved, and really hate feeling so stupid.  Is there any one of you willing to help me get past this? I could pay someone to do this, but I can't afford the $150.00 they want to do it.  Anybody?
    Thank you in advance,
    Tom

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Copy Contents of hdd to another hdd with Norton Ghost v14
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »
    You are not stupid, just inexperienced.
    Do not expect to make a true "clone" of a drive using and USB interface. The problem is tat the USB interface can not provide all of the blow level commands needed. No, I don't know why. I read that somewhere.

The best way to copy all the data from a laptop drive is to put the drive in a desktop using and adapter that does a direct hardware conversion of the IDE PATA connections.

Under $10 at Amazon and other major vendors. You need two to transfer from one laptop drive to another laptop drive.
    BTW, EASUS is every bit as useful as Norton for most  "clone" jobs.

Still,  you should not have trouble with the adapter you are using. It is considered one of the best. Others report they work perfectly. Not like some of those cheap USB adapters you get on eBay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLJ2OXYdL4
    This is a video of a happy user.

tberry123

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Copy Contents of hdd to another hdd with Norton Ghost v14
      « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
      Thanks for taking time to help. I have a working laptop, makes a happier wife for mother's day.
      Great stuff; happy works, thanks again.