Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows only starts on my new drive when I have my old drive installed with it.  (Read 2585 times)

mikebaldwin

My new drive has windows installed on it, and I installed all the motherboard drivers on the new drive, but when I remove the old drive, (which BTW has sector problems that scan disk always tries to fix), the computer won't start windows. What makes it even more aggravating is that windows won't start from the old drive, but without it, windows on the second drive doesn't start. Any ideas???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum  help everyone with all computer questions.

The problem you describe is neither frequent or rare. It happens when a second drive ins in stalled into a system.

This problem can happen when one drive is PATA and the other is SATA. But you post does not provide this detail.

Before offering a solution, some more information is needed, both the hardware and the software.  Details matter.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Experience: Experienced
The reason is because sometimes windows puts the boot loader on a different drive from the system files.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe