Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New codec packages available?  (Read 2682 times)

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
New codec packages available?
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
I think about a year and a half ago I downloaded "The Vista Codec Package" from or by Shark007 and I've had no trouble viewing movies or media online.  I always had video and audio - no problem.  I know I got this package from a link from this FAQ:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=79688.0

But now.  When I click on the Vista one the page that it leads to - the links don't work.  I'm asking if there's an updated list or codec package available because I have come across some media lately where the sound is missing with video or the other way around. 

So, are there new codec packages out there or should I try another one on the list like the K-lite one.  Do the codec packages have to be updated?  Are there new codecs out there? 

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: New codec packages available?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »
I use the kLite codec pack. It does most of the formats for you in one go. Have not come across a problem yet and the media player bundled with it is good.

Good site to download klite codec pack.

I just install updates to kLite whenever it comes out.

Maybe something is wrong with video itself ... can test on other PC if you got one or maybe another browser if online to be sure whether it is the author of the video screwed up or the codec pack being faulty somewhere.

johnmarkcausin

Rookie
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: New codec packages available?
    « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »
    I use the kLite codec pack. It does most of the formats for you in one go. Have not come across a problem yet and the media player bundled with it is good.

Good site to download klite codec pack.

I just install updates to kLite whenever it comes out.

Maybe something is wrong with video itself ... can test on other PC if you got one or maybe another browser if online to be sure whether it is the author of the video screwed up or the codec pack being faulty somewhere.

I would like to add to the excellent reply of 2x3i5x.

It is also possible that you are trying to play a music file that requires a license from the provider (zune, itunes, etc). Without the licenseinstalled in your pc then it would try to connect to the internet then tells you that you do not have the codec.

I hope this helps.
    ------------------------------------
    A 64-Bit OS Believer...Another Computer Geek!