Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq presario desktop (Please insert a writable disk into drive)  (Read 4511 times)

phinstrain

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello C.H, I can't seem to get my cd drive to burn some files from my documents.  I opened up the cd drive from my computer and moved the data over to the cd drive.  Put a disk into the cd drive. Clicked copy to cd and got the error message (Please insert a writable disk into drive.  The cd I'm using is a (Memorex cd-rw ultra speed 700mb) and I tried a Hypermedia cd recordable multi speed 700mb. neither worked. Could some one tell me what I'm doing wrong?   PhinsTrain.

Salmon Trout

Re: Compaq presario desktop (Please insert a writable disk into drive)
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:24:03 AM »
    Possibly drive is faulty.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Compaq presario desktop (Please insert a writable disk into drive)
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:48:17 AM »
    Hello C.H, I can't seem to get my cd drive to burn some files from my documents.  I opened up the cd drive from my computer and moved the data over to the cd drive.  Put a disk into the cd drive. Clicked copy to cd and got the error message (Please insert a writable disk into drive.  The cd I'm using is a (Memorex cd-rw ultra speed 700mb) and I tried a Hypermedia cd recordable multi speed 700mb. neither worked. Could some one tell me what I'm doing wrong?   PhinsTrain.

Did the drive ever work properly? How old is the drive?

I think Salmon is right though. The drive is probably dead. Dead writers can still read fine as a different part of the drive conducts the actually writing. It's likely not able to detect the media in the drive or is detecting it incorrectly.