Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: error 121 when re-intalling vista  (Read 10417 times)

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    error 121 when re-intalling vista
    « on: May 20, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
    Hi
    My brother tried to install windows 7 in his toshiba but he didn't liked so he installed windows vista again... >:(
    This was a mouth ago... today when he power on the computer he received a error message saying "bootmgr missing hit CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart the system"... the pc didn't turn on and keep showing that message.
    I tried to re-install vista with a cd from my vista (I have a toshiba too) but isn't working. in the middle of "unpack Vista OS" the progress stops and appears an error 121... I used this DVD already in my brothers computer and worked.
    Could anyone help me, please?

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: error 121 when re-intalling vista
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
    one thing that just came to mind ... check the DVD itself. Is there dirt or smudges on it? A dirty disc can create problems that were not present on your last attempt using it.

If so, take a slightly wet tissue and gently wipe it clean (NEVER do it circularly, that's no good). Maybe that can get the pc to get the disc working as it did before.

For "bootmgr missing hit CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart the system" error, see the instructions  listed on this site, I think one of those methods should take care of the issue.

Also, I am not sure what that error 121 is about, unless you can provide more info on what specifically the error message said and also I assume your Toshiba PC is in good condition (barring the operating system issue)

Good luck :)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:50:05 AM »
    Are you booting to the cd or trying to install from within the OS?

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 05:25:09 AM »
      @2x3i5x
      Thanks for your quick answer. The dvd it's allright... I even made another to test and it happens te same. I go to the website that you indicate but I don't think that I can do anyone of the two steps

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 05:37:49 PM »
        @2x3i5x
        Thanks for your quick answer. The DVD it's allright... I even made another to test and it happens the same. I go to the website that you indicate but I don't think that I can do anyone of the two steps. when I boot from the DVD it immediately appears a window asking the language and another one asking what operative system I want to install. then I choose Windows Vista  and it starts to format the computer... around 78% of the progress it stops. I don't understand exactly what it says but it indicates a pat like C/windows.... and says that it will retry again and keeps on that for a long long time.

@Allan
        Hi, thanks answering me ;D I don't think i understood your question... What I do is create a "recovery disc" with my Toshiba and then I start my brother's computer and insert the DVD. I have to press F12 and boot from CD/DVD and blah blah blah... I don't know if I answered your question.

Kisses and thanks again

PS: I apologize for my English... I'm Portuguese;)

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 04:53:18 AM »

Your english is fine  ;)

What I do is create a "recovery disc" with my Toshiba and then I start my brother's computer and insert the DVD. I have to press F12 and boot from CD/DVD and blah blah blah... I don't know if I answered your question.

It would have answered the question if you had not end your reply with 'blah blah blah'

Do you you put in the CD/DVD and, most importantly, re-boot ?
        11 cheers for binary !

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 01:48:28 PM »
          @reddevilggg
          Hum... I don't think so...I power on the computer and says that the windows startup failed and to correct the problem I have to: 1. insert the windows installation disk and boot the computer; 2. Select the language definitions and click next and 3. click repair my computer.  Then I insert the disk and click enter and it appears  the following message "choose a operating system to boot or click TAB to select one tool".The only tool that appears is Windows Memory Diagnostic and the OS is Microsoft Windows Vista. If I chose the OS it appears the same initial message so I power off and power on again.
          If I don't press any key it appears the same message so I have to repeat the power off-on thing. if I press F12 and choose boot from cd/dvd. It automatically starts formating the computer... it says "Windows is loading files....", ask me to chose the language, appears a window to choose what I want to install ( The only choice is Portuguese (Windows Vista)) and then it starts formating...

Thank you...( for the english to... hehehe ;D)

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 05:50:54 PM »

Can you start your PC, then insert the CD/DVD, then re-boot the PC with your CD/DVD in
          11 cheers for binary !

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:34:38 AM »
            I don’t know how to do that unless when the computer is already in the windows vista. I mean how can I re-boot without press the power off key?

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:12:50 AM »
            I mean how can I re-boot without press the power off key?

That is how you re-boot !! Thats is why you've changed the setting to 'Boot to CD'

1) Change the BIOS setting to 'Boot to CD'

2) Put the CD in the drive

3) Turn off the machine

4) Turn it on again

5) Select the repair option.

When you went into the BIOS to change the settings to 'boot to cd'......did you save the settings??
            « Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:41:36 AM by reddevilggg »
            11 cheers for binary !

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »
              untill now I think I never boot going to the bios and changing the boot order. I just pressed F12 and select the cd/dvd. Now I've done what you said (and save the settings, exit, and boot) but it happens the same: it starts automatically to format, asks me the lenguage and the OS that I want to install... then it starts installing it. when it stops it says
              "Unpack Vista OS ...
              ImageX Tool for Windows
              Copyright <C> Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

Progress: 78%, 3:43 mins remaining"
              And now it doesn't do anything else... it's like that for more than 1 hour now... now it isn't appearing the error that I talked when I opened the post... :-\

kisses

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »
                Ok, new update:
                [Error: 1392] C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime-log_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_24edda982f0453e5\msdtclog.dll. [Uncompress File: <seq.60> -> CreateFile failed]

[Retry] Restoring C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime-log_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_24edda982f0453e5\msdtclog.dll. again … (GLE = 0>

[Error: 1392] C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime-log_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_24edda982f0453e5\msdtclog.dll. [Uncompress File: <seq.60> -> CreateFile failed]

[Retry] Restoring C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime-log_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_24edda982f0453e5\msdtclog.dll. again … (GLE = 0>”

5 times and then…

“[Error: 1392] C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime-log_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_24edda982f0453e5\msdtclog.dll. [ResourceExtractToFileByStruct: <seq.50> -> Uncompress or WimCopyFileEx failed]

[Error: 1392] C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime-log_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_24edda982f0453e5\msdtclog.dll.

Error restoring image.
                The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
                ERROR: ImageX could not apply VISTA V:\HDDRecovery\SWImg\07051XSP.swm Index 2 from HDD to C:!
                Press any key to continue”

Oh and now also appears a small window saying:

“imagex.exe – corrupt file
                The file or directory \Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime-log_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_24edda982f0453e5 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.”
                When I press any key the window close and doesn’t do anything else… so I have to power down.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 03:57:11 AM »

You need to perform  chkdsk, it checks the hard drive for errors and attempts to fix them

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. Click on the Computer button.

3. Right click on your hard drive and click on Properties.

4. Click on the Tools tab.

5. Click on Check Now under the Error checking section.

6. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.

7. Make sure both options are checked.

8. Click on the Start button.

9. You will get a pop-up window saying, "Windows can't check this disk while it's use".

10. Click on the Schedule disk check button for chkdsk to run the next time you restart your computer.

11. Then reboot

After its performed the check (which can take over an hour, so be patient) you can attempt another installation.
                11 cheers for binary !

Allan

• Mastermind
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:11:11 AM »
                Here is how you run checkdisk: Right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:17:59 AM »
                  One little problem: the computer doesn't turn on... whenever I power on it stays in the initial black screen and shows that message I said in the beginning of this post:
                  "bootmgr missing hit CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart the system"... the pc didn't turn on and keep showing that message
                  since then I never could turn on the computer...