Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: loud noise and no green light  (Read 2830 times)

garick1955

loud noise and no green light
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:45:55 PM »
i have a dell desktop.. i restarted my computer the other day and when it would not restart..only stay on the logging off logo..i maually shut it off. now when i try to start it.. it makes a real loud humming noise like a fan..and all i get is a yellow light on the power button and it does not start.. i checked the fan that is in the front.. over the cpu i think.. it is turning but was covered with dust on the solid screen in front of it.. any suggestions? it is a dell xps 420.  the sound sounds like it is coming from the fwd fan or near it.. thanks!!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: loud noise and no green light
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:19:55 PM »
You need to do some serious housekeeping inside that case...
A can of compressed air is good for this...along with a soft small paint brush for the stubborn dust bunnies...
Also when blasting the fan areas use a Q_Tio to hold the fan blades in place so they don't get damaged...

As always remember to remove all power sources and take anti-static precautions...

PS: After completing this there may be a fan replacement involved...
As long as you take it with you you should be able to find a suitable replacement at any PC shop...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "