Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hanging Endlessly on Black Screen "Please Wait" Acer Aspire Model E700 desktop  (Read 5543 times)

nicehuman

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi, I have a Acer Aspire E700 Desktop with Vista OS. It's
    4 years old, and so in the past when I've had a problem I have successfully used the recovery disk.

In this case however, the recovery disk gets up to the point of a black screen of death, and has the message, "Please wait...." and it hangs on there forever, even after 24 hrs of waiting. It also has a loading bar at the bottom which goes left to right across the screen, and it loads the full bar then stops and hangs on that screen, and I have to reboot, so I cannot use the acer recovery disc successfully.

Also, even when I don't opt for the acer recovery disc nothing loads as well. It stays on the microsoft screen with the little green loading bar going back and forth ceaselessly, even though I waited of hours just to be sure.

I have already tried to hit F2 or Del to enter the bios settings, find the boot order menu, and make sure the CD-ROM is above the hard drive in priority. Also tried f8 and all the other options. Previously, I was able to get to the safe mode option and tried all the other options that were listed on the screen one by one, and it didn't work, now even that screen will not come up any longer. I am really bad with computers, please help on what could be the problem, and what should I do, please and thank you!!! :o
    « Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:12:14 PM by nicehuman »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Have you ever opened the case? You need to clean out the dust and reset then connections inside the case. The power and data cables to the hard drive need to be stimulated by removal sand insertions. This 'wipes' the little pins form any oxide (rust)  that has built up.

High humidity and dust contribute to oxidation. You may not be able to control the humidity, but you can clean out the dust  at least once a year.

Please report if this helps at all. You night have a Hard Drive problem. But just cleaning bout the dust and checking the connections may be all it takes.

nicehuman

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks for your reply first of all!

Ok, I did open up the case and clean out the dust twice. I also made sure to reseat the hard drive and remove and re-attach all connectors, including the power supply. I had tried this before, but did it again and it still
      doesn't work. When the computer comes on without the recovery disk option, it goes now to a black screen with a read error message, and says press control alt delete for rebooting.

I think I will give up and buy a hard drive in the next few days, as I have been waiting months on end for this to be fixed, but still no. I just wanted to make sure I exhausted all possibilities before I bought the hard drive, that's why I waited so long, but I think I will just go buy one then.

I have another question in that case, what is the order for reinstalling onto a new hard drive. Do I put the
      acer recovery cd in first, or do I install the operating system first? Also is there anywhere I can go online to download any necessary installation items to make a necessary install cd (i am using my laptop right now). Thanks again.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Yes, if you think you do not have the drivers you could download them onto your laptop and transfer them to a USB stick. But that might not be needed.

The normal procedure is to replace the hard drive, boot into the BIOS and set the normal defaults for your system.

Common boot order now is often:
      Floppy
      CD-ROM
      Hard drive
      You start with the OS install disk. The makers of computers call these by different names.
      Example: These discs are all from Dell and contain a full install of Windows XP

But it says 'already installed on your PC' thus leading to some confusion of what the disc does. Yet with other vendors the recovery disc can only recovery the system that is already on the computer. Hopefully your discs provide the full system and does not require anything that was only on the  old disc.

Using an external USB to Hard drive adapter is one way to get some of the drivers off of you old drive, if needed.

What I mean to say is that I do not have specific experience with your brand of computer. maybe somebody else can give an exact answer.

nicehuman

Topic Starter

Starter

Hi again, just wanted to come back and thank you for at least trying to help. I ended up just buying a new hard drive and got it up and running in no time.

Thanks for making the effort, as I posted this on a few forums, but you were basically the only one who attempted to assist me, so big thanks to you regardless!

Cheers!  :)