Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP operating system. Hard drive is mapped as I. Want to change to C  (Read 2815 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

For some reason, the hard drive on my system is marked as I and not C, and this does not work well with my automatic backup system.
    How do I change my drive letter to C?  I went to management where it lists the drives and I tried to change it from there but it wouldnt let me, says Boot volume cannot be reassigned.  So what should I do?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    You cannot change the drive letter designation of the system partition with reformatting and reinstalling the OS. I'm guessing when you installed the OS initially you had other usb devices / drives attached. You can't do that.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

But how do you disconnect the other peripherals that are built into the computer like a card reader or a lot for an external drive and stuff. 

If I do need to reinstall the OS, let me know what I should do so the hard drive willl be mapped as C:

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • ThomasTheXPUser
      • Experience: Experienced
      see if this helps, really didn't read over it much

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

microsoft kb

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
      Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
      There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      But how do you disconnect the other peripherals that are built into the computer like a card reader or a lot for an external drive and stuff. 

If I do need to reinstall the OS, let me know what I should do so the hard drive willl be mapped as C:

You don't need to disconnect the internal drives such as card readers. Boot to the Windows disk and early on you'll be given the option to delete and recreate partitions and format - choose that option and do the obvious. Make sure when you reinstall you install to c: drive.