Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Trouble  (Read 2694 times)

blackcat

Topic Starter

Starter
  • Experience: Beginner
Monitor Trouble
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »
Um, Hi there. I've been over this website for a while looking for a fix for my problem and while I have found lots of similar problems none of them are exactly what I need? I'm not sure at all. So this is it, I have a dell studio desk top that's about two years old, about a year ago I had the same problem with the first monitor that came with the system. It worked perfectly, nothing weird at all, I shut it off and come back the next day and the computer works but the monitor doesn't. After six, yes I'm that stubborn, restarts the monitor finally came up. It kept doing this periodically for months. Then I got a new monitor and it's worked perfectly since. Until now of course. The only difference between the monitors is that the first used the analog channel and the new one uses the other one (can't think of the name, oops). I haven't done anything to the guts of my tower. I desperately need to know what's going on here because I love my laptop but I keep it for school and it sucks for gaming. Please help!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Monitor Trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
After six, yes I'm that stubborn, restarts the monitor finally came up.
Are you a girl? Real men try the reset at least ten times.

As for me, I await a bit, then turn off the monitor,  wait two secs  turn it back on. If that don't work I hit it with my fist.

But you have to understand, I am not like most users. I went to school for three days and got a certificate in special desktop computer recovery techniques. Unfortunately, the company that trained me whet belly up later on.

Otherwise, make sure you have install the driver for the monitor. Yes, there is a driver for the monitor.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »
I am unsure here if its the desktop or laptop, but I think its the desktop monitor. And obviously its for gaming and the monitor would be a flat one or CRT? Have you check if any of the monitor is still working by connecting it to another computer? I am also confused if those monitors are bought brand new/refurbished or second-hand. The duration of usage of any hardware will also be a factor on quality and durability.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 05:45:55 AM »
It's clearly a desktop.

blackcat - the question above is the same I would ask - does it work on other systems? And have you tried a different display with this system? Either or both of those would be the correct first troubleshooting steps.

blackcat

Topic Starter

Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
      Sorry for not clarifying, the computer that's causing problems happens to be a desktop. A dell studio, I can't tell you the spec's because I can't get into my computer and I've long, long, lost the paperwork to it, but I Do have nonstandard bits and pieces. It had a warranty but that expired last month, plus my experience with dell 'support' is pretty awful. So this is what I've tried so far:
       1)I tried my screen with my laptop, as a secondary screen, and the screen works fine that way
       2)I tried my kid sister's screen with my computer, no dice.
       3)For giggles I tried swapping out the cable, again nothing.With both screens by the way.
   Oh! All the lights turn on, the tower hums like normal, even the little beep it gives when the Dell BIOS screen clears sounds. The lights in back are still working and the fan, everything but the monitor. I have great anti virus and firewall software that I use nearly everyday, if not everyday. About the only software changes I've made are some Window's updates, EA game updates, and other assorted updates for some of my sketch programs. I haven't had any driver updates or reinstalls, nothing was wrong. Oh, a friend was telling me that when their video card 'died' the monitor did some funky things, like splintering up and color fades. I hope it's not that because in my last dell the card was called 'integrated' something or other and apparently that means dollar signs. Dollar signs I doubt I have... I'll pray that's not it.
PS, the monitor is a flat screen with built in speakers, if that helps, and so is my kid sister's. After two days of work with only my baby laptop for comfort this gamer junky is jonesing pretty bad, any advice is most appreciated.

Yes. I'm a girl. No I won't hit my computer because I have muscles of steel! I might break it - worse than it is, anyway. ;D

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »

1)I tried my screen with my laptop, as a secondary screen, and the screen works fine that way
       2)I tried my kid sister's screen with my computer, no dice.
       3)For giggles I tried swapping out the cable, again nothing.With both screens by the way.
   Oh! All the lights turn on, the tower hums like normal, even the little beep it gives when the Dell BIOS screen clears sounds.

Sounds like you need a new video card.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
...desktop. A dell studio, I can't tell you the spec's because I can't get into my computer and I've long, long, lost the paperwork to it...
Enter Service Tag here:  http://support.dell.com

blackcat

Topic Starter

Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
I figured out the problem!!!
I took apart my tower this afternoon after work and swapped video cards with another tower.The video card worked just fine. I was about to give up when my little sister, being nosy like a little sister is supposed to be, asked me what the covers near the bottom of the back panel were for. I didn't know and I pulled them off and found secondary monitor ports! I feel like an idiot but MY MONITOR WORKS NOW. Seems the problem the whole time was the original port itself, the MAIN port is faulty.
I'm currently useing the secondary port and I figure I'll just leave it at that until something else goes wrong I guess, I imagine I can replace the old port easily when I have the time.
Thank you, everyone who tried to help, for your advice. I truely apreciate it. God knows there are better things to do than to answer these kinds of questions,
Thanks again ;D