Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: JUst got a new harddrive on PC...no software loaded...help  (Read 7600 times)

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

JUst got a new harddrive on PC...no software loaded...help
    « on: June 13, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »
    I had a Sony VAIO laptop which needed fixed.
    They had to install a new harddrive along with a new OS.
    All my old files that were not backe dup were lost.

The PC will run, but it has no programs on it.
    Several Questions:

1) Since there is no anti-virus, what anti-virus and other protection programs should I download and install (for free)...is there a list?

2)  Sadly it does not have Microsoft Office, which is vital for me.  I need and use the word processor, excel, and powerpoint.  I do not have an old copy, am I SOL, or is there anyway I can get my hands on an old product key or download one for free online.
    (If any of you can, PLEASE PM me a copy or key code!)

3)  Basically, what programs and in what order should I download so my PC is safe and useable?

4) Lastly, once I download MS Office and iTunes, will all my program files and documents I do have backed up be able to be read and accessed on the PC?

Thanks!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: JUst got a new harddrive on PC...no software loaded...help
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »
    1) Avira, Avast, or Microsoft Essentials are your best free choices

2) There are several free alternatives to Office (http://www.mydigitallife.info/free-microsoft-office-alternatives-or-replacements/). Open Office is popular and compatible with Office files.

3) Install the av, then include either or both MalwareBytes and / or Super AntiSpyware. Also SpywareBlaster (you need to download and activate updates every week or so).

4) Probably

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »
    (If any of you can, PLEASE PM me a copy or key code!)

Sure, I'll email you a free copy of MS Office (no trojans - I really promise!) and a working product key! (In your dreams!) Do you know what the word "piracy" means?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »
    Sure, I'll email you a free copy of MS Office (no trojans - I really promise!) and a working product key! (In your dreams!) Do you know what the word "piracy" means?
    Maybe not,  because he is not a pirate. He lost hos product key. Microsoft ought to tell him what it is. Maybe he should call them a ask them what was his product key is, or t else tell him how to install again  without a key.

This comment is NOT in favor of pirates.

If we suppose a user is a pirate because  he lost his key.
    Then, logically and fairly, Microsoft is also a pirate by hiding it from him. Microsoft has all the tools needed to store the product keys of everyone that ever bought a Microsoft product in the past ten years.

By common law, If you bought something, you have the right to use it if you fulfill the terms of the agreement. He did this nonce, and should not have to do it again.

The EULA does not require you to re-enter the product key from time to time. It allows you to have a backup copy of the product. By implication you do not need the key again.

For example, a couple loses their marriage license in a flood. Do they have to get married again ?

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
      Thank you!

1) So just AVG, malware anti-bytes, and SAS is all I need to be safe and running?
      -No firewalls I need to download and install (or turn off the windows vista firewall)?

2) Problem with MS Office, I DO NOT have the hardware, I have nothing.  Hence, is there anyway I can re-install without purchasing...since I do not have the cd?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:21:14 PM »
      2) Problem with MS Office, I DO NOT have the hardware, I have nothing.  Hence, is there anyway I can re-install without purchasing...since I do not have the cd?
      You should have same proof that you at one time did own a legal copy of MS Office. On this forum members can not help individuals that do not have prof of ownership.

But Open Ofice can read MS files very well. And is FREE.

And there are many other alternatives to MS office that are suitable for most home and small office use.
      Corel, Sun Microsystems, Apple, IBM, and others offer alternatives at a fraction of the price of Microsoft Office 2007. Corel WordPerfect Office X4 sports ...
      http://reviews.cnet.com/1990-3524_7-5140428-1.html
      EDIT: the material is over three years old, but still one of the best comparisons of paid and free office software.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:42:27 AM »
      Thank you!

1) So just AVG, malware anti-bytes, and SAS is all I need to be safe and running?
      -No firewalls I need to download and install (or turn off the windows vista firewall)?

Do you use a router? If so, then it probably has a built in NAT and you do not need an additional firewall. If not, then the firewall in Vista and Windows 7 is fine. If you're using XP then you may or may not want a 3rd party firewall. It's a personal choice

Either download and use Open Office as I suggested or contact Microsoft and see if they can help you. But please stop asking if anyone here can help you get an illegal copy or we will have to lock this thread

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:23:23 PM »
        Thanks all.

Apparently my PC came pre-loaded with MS Office.
        I have no CD and no proof, just the knowledge my PC had it already installed...so maybe I should call MS...and if I give them my PC info (model/PC number) they can do something?

Otherwise, if not, I suppose Open Office is the best to use in being compatible with MS Office files?
        The main thing, I use MS Office at work, and use my PC at home for work too, so I need whatever I have to read and easily open/edit back and fourth MS Office files in word/excel/powerpoint.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:24:28 AM »
        Apparently my PC came pre-loaded with MS Office.

Was the machine bought new or from "some guy"? If the machine came new with an OEM legally licensed install of MS Office then that license may or may not be valid after a change of hardware. If you didn't prepare a backup image as advised by Sony then you may have lost it. Why not get the Sony recovery disk set for that model? If it has Office included in the system image that gets installed you're good to go.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »
          OK....thank you for your guidance.
          Here is what I did:

A. Downloaded:
          1) AVG...ran first scan
          2) Super anti-spyware
          3) MBAM
          4) Spywareblaster
          5) CCleaner and defrag
          6) WOT safe browsing tool
          7) Comodo firewall
          8) JAVA

B. I then disabled windows firewall, and enable Comodo

C. Also went ahead and downloaded
          1) Firefox
          2) AIM
          3) Skype
          4) iTunes
          5) Bitlord
          6) Adobe reader
          7) Adobe flash

My Questions
          1)  Is my PC now properly protected with the right programs?
          -Is there anything else I need to download or adjust, is the PC set now and just needs regular scans?

2)  Windows defender came with it...do I need this active or not?

3)  I wanted to know in windows startup...what do I need?
          -Do I need JAVA/SAS/MBAM to be one of the programs which start when I log on, can they be not automatic starts for me?

Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 05:44:05 AM »
          1) You seem to be doing things just right. But don't minimize the importance of "smart computing". All the protection in the world won't help if you click on links from unknown emails, visit questionable sites on the web, click on questionable links, etc.

2) Absolutely disable Defender. It is a waste of resources. Go into services.msc and disable the Windows Defender Service.

3) None of those need to be run at boot unless you have the paid version of either Mbam or SAS and want to run it resident along side your av. Most people do not and simply run a scan once a week or so.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »
            Thanks!
            SO I am all set?

Just curious, since I can't get MS Office, is open office the best option to use instead for ease of file reading/converting?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
            Thanks!
            SO I am all set?

Just curious, since I can't get MS Office, is open office the best option to use instead for ease of file reading/converting?

Yes, if you want a free progam. OO is well supported.
            Some paid programs are a little easier to use. Maybe.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 05:37:09 AM »

Try it and find out for yourself if it's something you like.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »
              JUst curious, I got firefox, when I download a program (like ccleaner, or anything), it downloads, then finishes.  If I want to install, I then have to go windows>downloads>and click on the install file there...is there anyway I can configure firefox so when I download a file (or install file) it can bring me there directly?