Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wanting to add my own Events to sounds inside windows?  (Read 2474 times)

Stormy99

Wanting to add my own Events to sounds inside windows?
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
          I've asked this question in several other forms & constantly get misunderstood.
 I know how to change the sounds of the PC,what I want to do is add my own "events" in there.For instance have the PC play a sound when I start control panel, or when I open Win amp, or when windows finishes defrag,or whatever "event" I choose.
    I can get the "event " to show up but not to actually play the sound I assign it,even though it acts as though it is playing the sound.I've read things on a "pszSounds" but am totally confused as to how & where to apply this, if that is in fact what I need to do.So can anyone tell me how this is done in as detailed information as possible.I'm pretty good with computers ,but sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake,(if you know what I mean) ::)!
      I'm running Windows 7, service pack 1,it's up to date as of 30 min ago.It's a Vision PC,with an Intel desktop board DG41RQ,running Intel dual core E5300 at 2.6GHz with 4GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 Ram.I have installed a 24 Bit 5.1 surround sound Star tech card,I've also installed an Evga Ge Force 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 PCI,I don't do any gaming though. I'm running Norton & Ad-Aware and whatever windows offers,and am most fanatical about running all security scans as well as disk clean before ending time with PC.I do have a real Windows 7 disk,I'm the only user of this PC,I'm connected through com cast,but occasionally run wireless with my Link sys WRT 160N ver .3 Router.I do allot of art & downloading with my PC and often walk away while it's doing it's thing and need an audible sound to alert me when one or another project is done.And as we all know what is offered inside of "sounds" is rather limited.
   Any and all help will be greatly appreciated I've been trying to find out the answer to this for a very long time.So Thanks to all who offer any advice!! 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Wanting to add my own Events to sounds inside windows?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 09:00:14 PM »
You cannot add new events... at least, you cannot add events that are triggered by applications that don't know about it specifically.

In order for a event sound to be played when you start- say, winamp, something has to basically say "hey, windows, this event occured, make the appropriate sound for it".

There is no code in winamp- or any other application, for that matter- that is coded to trigger your custom event. You can hack in new events via the registry and utilities and whatnot, but unless an application actually invokes those event sounds, they are never used.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.