Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AVG paid 2011 installation failed now can only boot in safe mode, HELP please!!  (Read 4286 times)

mimpey

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
     >:(
    I have just joined this group so sorry if this sort of question been asked before.
    I am running XP sp3 and needed to upgrade to AVG 2011 had been running 8.5 with no problems but was time to renew. The installation looked fine no problems and even updated the first time after installation. Next morning or reboot it got to windows nearly loaded then all of a sudden a black screen and the system shut down.
    I have since then tried everything. I couldn't use the power button to start up until I had unplugged and tried again, then it worked. I could reboot to safe mode (which I am in now)but can't find any solution have used removal tool to take avg off I can not scan for virus etc as can not complete installation now as when gets to same point it goes to black screen and shuts down.
    AVG will not help as they say as their software has been removed then it is nothing to do with them if it is still doing it. I feel there is some file missing or been corrupted by AVG installation and I can not find out what it is to repair or replace.
    I had shut down so many times XP wanted to scandisks but of course it only got so far then shut down and in the end wouldn't even boot in safe mode. I then had to do a repair inplace from windows XP cd and got back the safe mode. In full mode it got the old problem of shutting down as windows was nearly loaded.
    I was going to to use AVG rescue cd but it only got so far and then black screen and shut down. All I managed to do was Memtest86+ which had no problems.
    Any body got any ideas?
    Someone help please, I've been doing this for days.

Thanks
    Mike

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Dload and run This...

Then you can choose to re-install AVG or another protection app...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mimpey

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi
      Thanks for reply.
      I did that and had loads of problems fixed and did the restart only just at the very last of my settings being loaded it did it again went to black screen and shut down.
      I was so hopeful too that all the software probs had been fixed. :(  It has to be software doesn't it as it runs fine in safe mode? I sometimes got warnings before running the speed up pc that this file was missing from itunes help and from pc suite but they have been fixed or removed as no more messages.
      Some things I don't use any more have shared files and uninstaller advises maybe they need to be left on for other programms.
      So I still can't install AVG or any other as can't get fully booted on a restart. I don't really want to do a windows upgrade and have to go about re-entering all my settings if I can get away with it. I have tried transfering all files I need on to other pc but when I check to see if will work the files c an't be found. I used a transfer cable but think will have to use something like pc-link.
      Does anyone have any other ideas before I give in and do a total windows upgrade? Thanks.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      We need more info on what led up to this...

Sounds like you had more issues than just a wonked AVG install...especially if other apps were having issues.
      Help us to help you.

mimpey

Topic Starter

Rookie

It is ACPI multiprocessor pc with Samsung Hdd SP0820N
        display adapters SIS 661FX, Writemaster RW DVD player, SIS PCI ide controller, contects to broadband via wireless Belkin G usb router or SIS 900based PCI fast ethernet adapter.
        Intel pentium 4 3.00Ghz CPU x 2,
        Audio codecs, Legacy audio drivers Legacy video capture devices,Media control devices, Realtek AC'97 audio, Video codecs.
        Runs Windows xp sp3
        Use IE version 8

Have loads of event ids in the log. Some are event id 7026, 1000, 1001,
        Been working ok all be it slowly up to AVG 2011 installation. Was probably in need of defrag etc to clean up and was having one or two can't find file during start-up on programmes that had been uninstalled like PC suite for Nokia phone I once had. I didn't look into this as was working fine and I didn't need that any more. I

I don't know what else you might need to know really. I appreciate your time and effort.

Why will it boot ok in safe mode? What is it trying to do when gets almost finished loading all my applications and then something makes it fail in same place mostly now.

Sorry can't be more specific.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        It boots OK in safe mode because you either have faulty or incorrect drivers installed in Windows...

Think of what you have installed/uninstalled driver wise...

mimpey

Topic Starter

Rookie

I installed A4 tech drivers for wireless mouse and keyboard a few days after I tried to install AVG because it seemed that every time I moved the mouse while it was still loading my settings that the screen went black and it shut down. It made no difference adding new drivers it still did it.

I thought I had uninstalled lots of things in the last few weeks since this began, in a bid to get rid of unused stuff but I can still find them in the programs so I assume that uninstall didn't work even though it said it had. Uninstall isn't very reliable in safe mode I'm told.

I have tried to restore to a time before AVG 2011 install but it still does it.

I searched for all files with AVG in their name and considering it should have been removed by their own removal tool and then the speedup my pc thing I paid for this morning, there were too many files to count listed! I would try to locate a removal tool in google if I could get IE to respond tonight! I tried to look in history and  it wouldn't respond and a windows installer little window appears saying preparing to install (doesn't say what) like you get when a new program is about to install. It too just sits there not responding. I tried to cancel it but it just reappears after sitting there saying canceling for ages. I tried to uninstall spyzooka and a message saying AVG was still trying to install and use that file.

Sounds like there are a lot of conflicts going on. I ran the speedup mypc again this evening after it had supposedly fixed 3024 errors and it found another 42 in registry alone that it now has fixed. IE not being one of the things fixed though!

Could it be Hd or motherboard that is causing all these strange problems?

I might try to put my Hd out of that pc into my other one as the slave to see if it works? Though I have done this before it was a long while ago and my other pc is  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 quad cpu Q9950 [email protected] Ghz 2.83Ghz. 400GB RAM 32 bit operating system Windows Vista. I am not sure what I have to do about jumpers and altering the bios etc.

I could do an upgrade to Vista once all the data off but I really don't want the bother especially if the hardware maybe causing the problems anyway. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.

mimpey

Topic Starter

Rookie

Downloaded full internet security2011 paid version from AVG website.

It was a renew subscription that entailed installing the new version. It didn't work the first time tried to install so I followed their instructions and downloaded the removal tool and run that then tried again and it appeared to have worked as I said, even did an update and pronounced pc to be protected till the next morning.