Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to share computers over lan  (Read 5766 times)

jrmchess

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    unable to share computers over lan
    « on: June 23, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
    I recently changed the ip address of one of my computers. Now I can't access this computer from the unchanged one. I can access the shared folders of the unchanged one from the computer with the new ip but not the other way around. I tried pinging the new ip from the other computer but don't get a response. I also changed the workgroup of the other computer to match that of the one with the new ip address but still same problem. can someone please help? Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: unable to share computers over lan
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
    Before getting the best help, you need to provide some addition details.
    What kind of computers? Model #?
    Which Operating System?
    Is i Windows XP?

Was the systems and the local network working well at one time?
    Why did you change the IP?
    What IP are you using?

Have you already used the recommended software for building a network?
    Are you using a wireless router?
    How do the computers connect ton each bother.?

If you are using a single Ethernet cable and a not hub or router, then it should be a cross-over cable.
    Please give more information.

jrmchess

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:15:05 AM »
      Before getting the best help, you need to provide some addition details.
      What kind of computers? Model #? one is a laptop, the other a desktop (which has the ip changed)
      Which Operating System? both have xp
      Is i Windows XP?
      Was the systems and the local network working well at one time? yes the network was fine before the ip was changed
      Why did you change the IP? the ip was changed by my ISP to provide for an internet connection
      Have you already used the recommended software for building a network? I can access my shared folders on the laptop from the desktop but not the other way around
      Are you using a wireless router? yes

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »
      In network places you can search for another computer on the network.  ;D

Can you find the other computer?

jrmchess

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:52:35 AM »
        In network places you can search for another computer on the network.  ;D

Can you find the other computer?

yes I can see the other computer in network places but when I click on it it computer can't be found.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 01:21:41 AM »
        You can use the search feature to 'find' it. That forces a refresh if the stuff. Windows has habit of putting things in a cache. And not doing a refresh of the cache often., You have to make it refresh. You search for the computer, when it finds it again, it has the right address.

It is not clear why your ISP told you to change the IP address. Both computers ought to be in the same sub network and in the same DHCP range.

Do uou know the local IP of your computers?  On the command line you can type
        ipconfig /all
        And this gives the local IP, gateway and DNS numbers. They all have to be in the same sub-net.

jrmchess

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

\\
          « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:10:28 AM »
          You can use the search feature to 'find' it. That forces a refresh if the stuff. Windows has habit of putting things in a cache. And not doing a refresh of the cache often., You have to make it refresh. You search for the computer, when it finds it again, it has the right address.

It is not clear why your ISP told you to change the IP address. Both computers ought to be in the same sub network and in the same DHCP range.

Do uou know the local IP of your computers?  On the command line you can type
          ipconfig /all
          And this gives the local IP, gateway and DNS numbers. They all have to be in the same sub-net.

I did a search for the computer as you told me and found it but when I try to double click the icon I get the following error "\\computer is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. the network path was not found."

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »
          You need to set permissions on the computer that does not respond. By default, Windows XP does not set te Share Docs folder to public view. You have to do it.

Still, it is not clear why just a change of IP should have caused this problem.

You may need to have an administrative user that exists on both computers.

jrmchess

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
            You need to set permissions on the computer that does not respond. By default, Windows XP does not set te Share Docs folder to public view. You have to do it.

Still, it is not clear why just a change of IP should have caused this problem.

You may need to have an administrative user that exists on both computers.

I have administrator rights on both computers. i have also shared folders on both. I can access the shared folders only from the desktop but not from the laptop.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
            To be more specific:
            Same user on both computers.
            Both computers share the shared Docs folder.

On the laptop create a new user  with the name "Fred" (no quote marks)
            Fred shall have full rights on the machine. He must have a password.
            Reboot the laptop and log into Fred.

Don't forget to share the shared Docs folder

Now on the Desktop computer do the same. Same name, same password and privileged access. Reboot Lon into it. Now Find the laptop.

Don't forget to share the shared Docs folder

Next, go back to the laptop and find the desktop. You are Fred and the other machine has the Fred session open. Now Fred can read Fred.

Shutdown both PCs.
            When they both are down, turn them both back on and log in with you regular account on both machines. The account should be an administrator with a password or both machines. It should not now be necessary to use Fred, but Fred is still there. Leave Fred alone.

I have no idea how this is documented anywhere.  But it works. Most of the time.