Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't find boot device  (Read 8552 times)

armymedicmom

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Can't find boot device
    « on: July 04, 2011, 08:57:22 AM »
    I'm using Windows XP sp3 on a Dell computer.  I've had absolutely no problems until recently.  I turned the computer on and I get a message that it can't find the boot device.  I tried starting it again and I hit F12 to go into diagnostics.  Everything passed and it asked if I wanted to reboot.  I did, and it booted up fine.  The next time I shut down, the same thing occurred.  However, this time after starting the diagnostics, I immediately canceled it.  When I rebooted, it booted up fine. 

I left the computer running that night, but got up in the morning with the same "no boot device" message on the screen.  I have all the power management settings to not shut down, or hibernate.  There was no power outage here, or my clocks would have been blinking.

The only thing I added to this computer recently was a "Clickfree" backup device.  Now this device's drive was corrupt, and I'm waiting for a replacement from the company.  I deleted any software from this device that I could find.  I did not go into the registration.  Could this be part of the problem?  And if so, what is the solution?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't find boot device
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:19:23 AM »
    (Voice recognition software on.Please pardon grammatical errors.) ;D

Welcome to the computer Hope forum.
    There are volunteers here in willing to help you with your computer problems completely free of any charge or obligation on your part.

To start with, as much information about your problem that you can think of will be helpful. And yes, any new hardware or device is added to your computer could affect the overall performance and reliability.

But for a start, here is a suggestion. If your computer is more than a few years old it may be time to replace the CMOS cell. This little metal thing about the size of a coin. It preserves the settings of your computer while the computer is turned off. If that little thing has dried out it will affect the way your computer starts up.
    As to the external backup device, the fact that you say it is corrupted is of concern. Any information you have either the vendor or the manufacture would be of some help.

Is it not to pry into your privacy, but the forum is building a database about common problems and  specific details are needed. Namely the make and model of any devices that are known to have a short service life. Categorically, external backup devices are excellent tools and should not cause problems in typical applications. Any additional information you get from the manufacture would be greatly appreciated.

Please provide as much additional information that can, in the forum will respond to you as quickly as possible.

By the way, do you use a good AV software? And are you aware of the ever-present dangers of of computer virus problems?  Often issues can be traced back to some type of malicious software.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 09:59:52 AM »
    ClikFree has probably altered the boot manager.

Do you have your XP CD ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

armymedicmom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »
      This computer is a Dell Studio and is about 2-1/2 years old.  I use the full version of AVG for virus protection.  I did a full scan and nothing was detected.  I do have the XP CD.  Is there a way to check if Clickfree has altered my boot?  Is there any other info needed?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »
      Boot to the XP CD and load the Recovery Console....1st "R"

When the command prompt loads type in fixboot and hit Enter...
      Then type in fixmbr and hit Enter...answer Y to the question...

Remove the CD and re-boot.
      This should fix it.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

armymedicmom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 05:34:27 AM »
        Here's what happened.  I was just about to try the fix suggested using the XP CD, when I thought to go into the setup and check the boot sequence.  My SATA drive wasn't even listed!  I have an external FreeAgent drive that was in position one, and the cd rom was in position 2.  Position 3 just said disabled.   I got the SATA drive recognized again and put it in position one.  So far everything is working.  However, the replacement Clickfree backup drive should be arriving soon.  Now I'm worried its going to screw things up again. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for all the help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »
        Hang in there.
         Eventually you will have it working the way you like.
         Or very close. :||

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 10:05:26 PM »
        I would suggest changing the CMOS battery.
        Evil is an exact science.

Sangpuiipa

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 04:39:13 AM »
          I have a problem like you at the past tow years, and my suggestion is try to check all your hard disc sata/pata. Sometimes probably at old computers, those connectors are not connected or touched properly. After you triy this and if nothing happens, try changing CMOS battery.

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 04:47:39 AM »
          I would suggest changing the CMOS battery.
          I don't know what I was thinking on this post.
          Evil is an exact science.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
          I don't know what I was thinking on this post.
          A failing CMOS cell can really mess up attempts to diagnose things. If the BIOS is loosing settings, replace the CMOS cell. Don't even test it. Just replace it.