Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reloading XP OS stops when starting Windows up  (Read 3314 times)

pennygar

Topic Starter

Rookie

reloading XP OS stops when starting Windows up
    « on: July 12, 2011, 10:41:11 PM »
    Have a Seagate SATA drive in a HP laptop that I have wiped and reformatted.  I boot up with an XP system disc which loads all the drivers, etc but when it gets to the point of starting up the Windows (when it asks which partition to load into) it crashes to a blue screen which says there is a problem with the hard drive or a virus.  I have tested the hard drive using Seatools + some Hiren testing tools and all say it is good.  Have run a Memtest + another memory diagnostic which all came back clear.  Any suggestions as to what might be the problem or what I can test next?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: reloading XP OS stops when starting Windows up
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:45:14 PM »
    Is the Seagate HD the original drive came with your laptop? What issues that prompted you to reinstall XP OS? Are you sure you wiped out any pre existing OS and followed on how to delete, create and install XP?
    it crashes to a blue screen which says there is a problem with the hard drive or a virus
    Please post the entire or exact message if possible. This link courtesy of Bleeping computer has a posted topic concerning any possible issue you might have encountered. Please verify if you have or not.  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-xp-recovery

Lisa_maree

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
    Hi

I am assuming the windows is not the HP recovery Cd's, And the windows is XP. If so you will either need the recovery Cd's or to make a windows XP install disk with the XP support for the hard disk controller. The easiest way is to get a copy of the recovery Cd's.   

pennygar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
      Prior to wiping the computer when it started up it was only getting as far as the Windows XP logo screen at which point it would just keep looping.  I did a chkdsk, ran a hard drive repair over the HDD also ran a repair over the MBR as well as running a scan with SuperAntiSpyware (which found some registry issues) and it did eventually open up properly.  As we weren't sure what fixed it and wanted to err on the side of caution it was decided to wipe the drive and start again.  I used a program from Hiren v.10 but because I had to try a few before I could find one that would even pick up the drive's existence I am not sure now which one I used to zero the drive.  Reformating it was difficult too until I downloaded Hiren v.14 and used the Seatools which reformatted easily.  When I put the Windows XP OS disc with SP2 (not a recovery disc) in to load it goes through the initial loading of drivers fine until it gets to the part to 'start up windows' it crashes.

pennygar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:05:20 PM »
        I just run the setup again and it didn't crash with a blue screen this time but did come up with the message that 'setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on this computer'.  Why is it having issues when all the HDD tests I run come up fine??

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
        Very early on in the Setup process a bottom screen prompt will say "Press F6 to install additional drivers"...
        Do so...
        Then insert your MBoard driver CD...
        It will auto-detect and Setup should continue...

At some point it may ask for the Windows CD...if not remember to remove the driver CD at the end when setup wants to re-boot...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pennygar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:15:23 PM »
          I pressed the F6 and got to the point where it asks for the Manufacturers System disc to be inserted into Drive A.  I don't have the system disc but downloaded the necessary drivers from HP and put a copy in the internal CD ROM, tried a disc in the external CD ROM and also tried a copy on a USB key all would not make setup budge from this point.  Is it expecting a floppy even though the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive or will it only accept the manufacturer's system disc? It is all original parts in the Notebook.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 06:40:04 PM »
          There should be a drop down boxfor selecting the file location...point it to the appropiate spot.

Unfortunately the OEM driver cd has a built in installer...many DLoad drivers even from the manuf do not include the installer so it won't auto detect...
          But try the above method and keep us posted...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
          There should be a drop down boxfor selecting the file location...point it to the appropiate spot.

There isn't. XP only supports Floppy disks at that stage of setup.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
          Or the manuf. Driver CD....she may have to orfer 1.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 07:34:14 PM »
          'setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on this computer'
          http://techrena.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-install-your-own-wndows-xp-in-hp.html

pennygar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »
            Thank-you, thank-you worked beautifully.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            « Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 07:54:56 PM »
            Or the manuf. Driver CD....she may have to orfer 1.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859

Note Mass storage controller drivers can be loaded only from floppy disks by using the F6 key. The F6 key cannot be used to load drivers that are stored on USB flash drives, on USB hard disks, or on other external storage devices.

The situation here is that the system uses SATA and XP doesn't support SATA. This will require:

1: slipstreaming the SATA drivers into the XP install disc
            2: getting the appropriate drivers on a Floppy disk (and the system will need a floppy drive)
            3. setting the SATA "mode" to "disabled" or "compatible" or "IDE"; this is usually the best option as far as time goes. You can then install the SATA drivers from the CD after booting into windows, change the BIOS back, and everything should work fine.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.