Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD Player Will read DVD but not data  (Read 4220 times)

OceanAsia

DVD Player Will read DVD but not data
« on: August 28, 2005, 11:24:29 AM »
Please help!!!!.
I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FR720. The DVD-RW player will read and play DVD movies, but refuses to read CD data discs or CD-Roms (game discs) or even acknowledge that they're in the drive.  Is this software or a hardware problem. Any suggestions. The Driver has been checked

Computer_Commando

Re: DVD Player Will read DVD but not data
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 12:01:37 PM »
Is this something that recently started?  Have you made any changes to hardware or software?

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 12:48:35 PM »
    This topic seems similar to one i read no so long ago. In that case it turned out that the dvd drive was faulty. Do you have another DVD drive you can test in that computer. Or try the drive you have in another computer, to see if you still get the same promblems.

OceanAsia

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 01:11:10 AM »
    I re-installed Windows XP (Original OEM) and since then this problem exists.  
    As I said, it will read and play DVD's but  when I received a data disc with MS Office files on it, I could not access the files.
    I could access them on another computer.
    It recognised the disc was there, but said it was blank, giving the free space amount as that of the CD less the burnt data space.
    When I tried to install a game CD (copied) it will not recognise anything there - light comes on for a few seconds then goes out.
    For your info, this all occurred after moving my notebook computer from Hong Kong to mainland China.
    The device manager says that it's working properly - but it's not.
    Any advice would be most appreciated

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 06:00:28 AM »
    Remove it from the device manager and allow for redetection.