Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to disable my front headphone jack.  (Read 20290 times)

tillan_

How to disable my front headphone jack.
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Hello. I seek aid from people with experience. I've tried alot of things and have recieved some help from my friends but nothing have worked. I was searching for solutions to my problem just back n forth on the web and i ended up here and i figured even tho the post i found here didn't help me i might aswell give it a try and see if someone else has any ideas. I'm sorry if i'm doing this wrong or if im simply not using the appropriate methods of posting this but anyway here goes.

Some brief info about my gear:
I'm using a Dell Dimension 9200, os; windows xp media center.
The comp itself is fairly old but is still up and running. My headset is a Icemat Siberia headset. I think my sound card (not sure) is called SigmaTel Audio~

To my problem. I accidentally pulled my headset cable away from my comp with a lil to much force  which caused the top half of the metal piece which goes into the headphone jack to snap of and get suck inside my headphone jack. This obviously broke my headset so its not usable in any other comp but I can still plug it in to the same jack and retrieve sound in my right earphone. However the problem exists I either need to get that piece out of there which seems nearly impossible (I have tried probably 10+ different methods.) or I need to disable this jack in order to be able to use the jack on the back of my computer. You see the computer seems to think i still have my headset plugged in quite obviously since the tip of the headset still is there. This causes my jack on the backside of the computer to remain disabled.
I would appreciate any intelligent or just simple ideas of maybe how to get the piece out or if there's a way to disable the front jack so that I'm allowed to use the back one.

Again, I sincerly apologize for any mistakes or inappropriate info for this forum that I've given. But I hope that maybe someone here has an answer which will be of use.

Yours, Jakob.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How to disable my front headphone jack.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
Remove a side panel and disconnect the front header power lead to the headphone jack...the PC won't see it if it has no power.

BTW no apology neccessary...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »
A quick Google reveals this is a surprisingly common problem. Not just plugs - chopsticks sometimes.

If the socket actually has a switch in it which mutes the speakers you will either have to remove the offending object or change the socket, or work out which wires to disconnect or join together to defeat the switch.

I guess you have tried all the usual methods of removing the broken stub of the jack plug.

Fishing it out with a pin or toothpick
Superglueing the other half of the jack that broke off and tying to pull it out.
Superglueing a toothpick to the lodged in piece and trying to pull it out.
Small pointy tweezers
Bending the tip of a small safety pin and sliding the tip down the side until the shaft of the safety pin is parallel to the wall and the tip is sticking in side of the broken jack and pulling outwards
Inserting a small drill bit with a rotating motion to screw it in the stub and then pulling it carefully out
Likewise with a very small self tapping screw
Inserting a flathead nail, flathead side first with a dab of superglue, into the socket so it contacts the stub and when the glue has dried, pull nail and stub out
Make a paper tube and insert into the socket and then poke in a toothpick with superglue on the tip and stick it to the stub. the paper stops the toothpick sticking to the inside of the socket

Generally superglue glue will dry in 2 to 3 seconds, full strength is achieved in 12 hours, and it continues to dry for 48 hours, so don't be too impatient.

If the headphone detection is done in software (You may be able to tell this if the Windows startup sounds come through the speakers even when the headphone socket has a plug in it)
(This works on Dimension 8400 which also uses Audigy) download Creative Audigy Control Panel, unzip to a folder, run ctpanel.exe and go to "Device settings", and uncheck “Mute speakers upon Headphone Jack Detection.”

http://www.geekymedia.com/media/audigy_ctpanel.zip

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:32:27 PM »
Chopsticks...i like that one... ;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
Just to add that I removed a broken off jack pin once by soldering a wire to the end of the broken pin and then when solder cooled in about 3 seconds , I was able to tug it out with no problems. This was for a user with a laptop in which the dog got caught up in the headphones and snapped it right off. I was truely amazed that that jack didnt get ripped out of the motherboard and functioned after the jack pin was removed.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:09:35 AM »
Just to add that I removed a broken off jack pin once by soldering a wire to the end of the broken pin and then when solder cooled in about 3 seconds , I was able to tug it out with no problems. This was for a user with a laptop in which the dog got caught up in the headphones and snapped it right off.

IMO, from the info tillan posted, I doubt there is enough of the broken contact to solder to:

Quote from: tillan
(However the problem exists I either need to get that piece out of there which seems nearly impossible (I have tried probably 10+ different methods.)

The only immediate solution is what patio posted - disconnect the jack from the Mboard.

tillan_, if you can physically remove the jack assembly from the case, then the jack assembly may be servicable (I mean the jack may be designed to come apart via unscrewing the assembly.)
This may give you better access to the area where the broken contact is, therefore being able to get it out with tweezers ect.
 Maybe not? Just trying to help.  :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »
    Another possible physical method that MAY produce the desired result of removing the piece of the jack in the port is by taking a vacuum cleaner modifying the nozzle to a sufficiently small enough diameter to fit as tight as possible over the port and suck er out. I have a set of vacuum modifying attachments designed for altering the normal heads to extremely small heads for computer work. I am sure one of them would just about be the right size to slip over the port. Whether sufficient sucking force would be adequate to draw out the piece i don't know. Sorry but i am not about to break off a mini plug in a port to find out. You could probably (with ingenuity) do your own modification to a vacuum cleaner to make your own for this instance. If you do try this method let us know the result.Good luck,truenorth