Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 3 computer monitors go straight into standby at one house but not another  (Read 2857 times)

amikkwe

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I am really needing suggestions about my brother-in-law's computer. He had gotten a really nasty virus and asked me to fix his computer. He brought it to my house and we decided to just wipe it out and start with a fresh install of windows7. He had both his tower and monitor at my house, but I had to use my own mouse and keyboard. Everything was working fine when he left here with it. When He got home he calls to tell me that he can't get his computer to turn on, so I drive over there and determine his computer is turning on but his monitor power light is going green for only a moment before going into standby. We tried changing monitors out with two other monitors all with the same results. So I took his computer back to my house with the same original monitor, plug it all in and it all turns right back on as if nothing had ever happened. It all worked just fine. He picked it back up today and took it back home, plugs it in and still has the same problem. I am at  a loss, it worked fine at my house not once but twice. At his house he has tried 3 different monitors all with the same problem. It never shows anything at all on the screen at his house just a black screen, but the power light goes green for mere seconds then clicks and goes yellow. Now he has the idea that I did something wrong to it, even though he saw for himself it works fine both times at my house. The only thing I could think was maybe there is an electrical problem at his house not pushing enough power to it. I mean why else would it work here and not there? Any suggestions would be so very appreciated. 

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • My first self-built computer
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    He had both his tower and monitor at my house, but I had to use my own mouse and keyboard.

What's the reason you had to use your mouse and keyboard?

Are you using your mouse and keyboard at your house, and then using his mouse and keyboard at his house every time?

If so maybe something is wrong with his mouse and/or keyboard.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Based on your post it could be on the power output. Have you tried different wall outlets in their house?
    You could try unplugging both before booting to check on the difference.

amikkwe

Topic Starter

Starter

What's the reason you had to use your mouse and keyboard?

Are you using your mouse and keyboard at your house, and then using his mouse and keyboard at his house every time?

When He first brought the computer to my house he forgot to bring over his keyboard and mouse. The second time it was at my house I had his keyboard but not his mouse, but he uses a wireless mouse and the wireless receiver was plugged in the whole time and shows that the driver installed fine. Now he claims that his computer was fine at his house before the virus, and even with the virus it was still turning on o.k. However I know everything worked fine both times at my house, it left here working in perfect order. and I noticed his house the lights are always flickering and he has two power strips plugged into every outlet of the house all loaded down with multiple electrical items. He says he has plugged straight into the wall outlet too though. But his house is a VERY old house. Maybe with the old wiring and so many things plugged in throughout the house is just too much. I really don't know. I am lost, but I feel good about the work I did on that computer.

amikkwe

Topic Starter

Starter

Based on your post it could be on the power output. Have you tried different wall outlets in their house? You could try unplugging both before booting to check on the difference.
        Yes We tried it plugged in his kitchen and living room too. Same problem. But never at my house.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        I noticed his house the lights are always flickering ... But his house is a VERY old house.
        I'm really inclined to think he needs to have an electrician check his wiring.  May be some issues there. 

amikkwe

Topic Starter

Starter

I'm really inclined to think he needs to have an electrician check his wiring.  May be some issues there.
          That is what I feel, the problem is he tells me that before the virus and bringing it to my house it would power up fine. I don't know what could have changed since then with his power however I am inclined to believe it's his house since it all works here ok. I tried to tell him to take it to yet another person's house and hook it up just so he will see it's not the computer but something to do with his house. Just thought if I posted here someone else may have encountered something similar and have an idea I may not thought of.