Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP reinstall, C: drive untouched, not works from d: drive (recovery!) Help pls  (Read 2575 times)

free3000

:'(
Needed to reinstall windows XP. Did so. Logged back on, but it is workuing from D: drive...

D: drive is my recovery drive! My C: drive was unchanged. it gives me 2 Xp lines above safe mode to choose from when I log in. It defauls to D: (recovery). Whats going on? How can I reinstall on my c: drive? Help! I do not want to mess up my recovery drive.

Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
There is a file called boot.ini which gives option for dual boot etc, so your system thinks it has 2 copies of XP on it. Run the system recovery software again and be sure it picks C: as the destination for the install. When done if it still wants to go to D: edit boot.ini to make C: the first option or remove the D: option if you dont want ability to boot off of D: if your system ever gets messed up as a next available preloaded os.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
The OP did not say what computer he has.
And did he install XP from a CD?
Orr did he use the recovery feature of his laptop?