Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mini-USB Port on External Hard Drive Broken  (Read 31959 times)

mcdidd

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Mini-USB Port on External Hard Drive Broken
« on: July 30, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »
Hey everyone,

I have a 1 TB Western Digital My Book Essential hard drive (Model WDBAAF0010HBK-NESN) that was dropped today. As a result, the mini-USB port on the back of the hard drive broke off. As far as I know, the HDD itself is fine. I was on chat a while ago and the admin "lostcoast" told me that I should buy a new case for it, but then he refused to answer the rest of my questions and kicked me from the chat. Can someone please tell me what I should do to fix my hard drive? I have over 400 GB of stuff on that hard drive and some of it is irreplaceable.

Salmon Trout

Re: Mini-USB Port on External Hard Drive Broken
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »
Since you now have nothing to lose you could remove it from the case and put it in another USB enclosure. Inside the case is a 3.5 inch SATA drive, and USB enclosures for these are plentiful and cheap.

Or you could just get another USB-to-SATA adapter and fit that inside the WD case. The second of the two articles below will make this clear I hope.

(1)
Opening A WD Elements 1tb desktop Hard Drive

"If you use an exacto knife or something similar you can slide in on the bottom around the seem. I just went all the way around with that, and then did it again but gently pried outward a bit, and it popped off. "

(Just words)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034973418

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2)
Western Digital Elements External Hard Drive Disassembly

"You can find a seam on the bottom of the drive, all around the edge. If you slip a miniature flat-head screwdriver, you can easily pry the enclosure apart"

"After pulling the 2TB hard drive out of the Western Digital case, I was able to use it with an USB adapter and within a Seagate USB case. So the internal hard drive is really just a normal hard drive."

(Words and pictures)

http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Western%20Digital%20Elements%20External%20Hard%20Drive%20Disassembly

I know the label on the drive in the picture shows it is a 2TB device, but the 1 TB case is the same as far as I can see.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »
If it's a SATA drive, you're in luck.  SATA connectors are the same for desktop & notebook drives.  No adapter necessary to get your data off.  The drives used in the 2.5" USB drives are not the same as the ones used in the notebook computer, they have lower power requirements so no power adapter is required & all power can be supplied from the USBus.

Notice that the one shown in the link is not a notebook drive so must use a power adapter.  You can see the power jack in the pics.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »
If it's a SATA drive, you're in luck.

Did you even read my post?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »
Not yours, his.
This is his:

Definitely a 3.5" SATA drive.

I have a WD Elements, but it's a 2.5" drive.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »
Not yours, his.

What are you talking about? I don't think you understood. I know what that drive is. I researched how to open a WDBAAF0010HBK-NESN case. That is what that drive is. That is what I wrote about. Complete with link to disassembly instructions.

mcdidd

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
Since you now have nothing to lose you could remove it from the case and put it in another USB enclosure. Inside the case is a 3.5 inch SATA drive, and USB enclosures for these are plentiful and cheap.

Or you could just get another USB-to-SATA adapter and fit that inside the WD case. The second of the two articles below will make this clear I hope.

I got the case open already and the HDD is out of the case. Can you direct me to a website where i can buy a new enclosure?

If it's a SATA drive, you're in luck.  SATA connectors are the same for desktop & notebook drives.  No adapter necessary to get your data off.  The drives used in the 2.5" USB drives are not the same as the ones used in the notebook computer, they have lower power requirements so no power adapter is required & all power can be supplied from the USBus.

Notice that the one shown in the link is not a notebook drive so must use a power adapter.  You can see the power jack in the pics.

I should probably clarify that this HD requires its own power source. I can't figure out if the drive inside it is SATA, but if it is, should I open my computer up and hook it up to get the files off of it?

To both of you: I already called Western Digital to see what they can do for me, but I'm sure their solution will be much more pricey.

mcdidd

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »
Not yours, his.
This is his:

Definitely a 3.5" SATA drive.

I have a WD Elements, but it's a 2.5" drive.

That's the same HDD i have if it helps at all

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »
That's the same HDD i have if it helps at all

We know. The number you quoted says everything we need to know. We do not know what country, area, town or city you live in, so it would be hard to suggest a website, but Amazon is possibly a good first stop. Type "USB SATA enclosure" into Google. They usually come with their own power adapters.

If you have a spare drive bay you can just install it in your computer as an internal drive.

mcdidd

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
They usually come with their own power adapters.

Just to clarify, does the replacement case come with all of the boards inside? because the USB port that broke was connected to the control board. Will I be able to get rid of the one I have once I get a new one?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
Just to clarify, does the replacement case come with all of the boards inside? because the USB port that broke was connected to the control board. Will I be able to get rid of the one I have once I get a new one?

You'll get everything you need. The old one can be thrown away.

mcdidd

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 07:56:41 PM »
Even the control board attached to the drive? It's removable. I tried to post a picture, but my replies don't get posted when I attach the picture.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 01:02:46 AM »
Even the control board attached to the drive? It's removable. I tried to post a picture, but my replies don't get posted when I attach the picture.

That sounds like the USB adapter board. Your new enclosure will have one of these. You just need the bare drive. When you get your new enclosure, read the instructions supplied.

immental1200

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 04:59:30 PM »
The sealed metal drive is all you need the circuit board attatched to it... in this case green? Can be discarded.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »
The sealed metal drive is all you need the circuit board attatched to it... in this case green? Can be discarded.

HuH ? ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "