Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Could Not Connect to the System Event Notification Service  (Read 12900 times)

iamyourmom

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
    Could Not Connect to the System Event Notification Service
    « on: August 01, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »
    running win7 home premium
    asus k42jy

problem started a few days ago, when i noticed an incredibly long wait time for the welcome screen, and when it finally started, a message in the toolbar popped up with the message could not connect to the system event notification service

tried several fixes already, including an older version of registry, the netsh winsock reset command and also sfc scannow command, but none of them works and the problem persists

any idea how to fix this? thanks
    Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?

truenorth

Guru

Re: Could Not Connect to the System Event Notification Service
      « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »
      This solution is related to Vista however have a look at it and see if looks like something that might fix your issue.
      http://www.techmalaya.com/2009/01/26/fix-could-not-connect-to-the-system-event-notification-service-error-windows-vista/
      truenorth

immental1200

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:01:31 AM »
      Windows key + R at the same time, should open RUN. Type in services.msc and press OK or hit  ENTER.

Look through the services list when you find "System Event Notification Service" right click it, choose properties and make sure it is set to AUTOMATIC, if this still doesn't work then open CMD as an admin and use the following command:

net localgroup administrators system  /add

if this still doesnt work also do this command in cmd while running as admin

net localgroup administrators localsystem /add

For the CMD commands to work right click on a shortcut to CMD and choose "Run as Administrator"

immental1200

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:02:44 AM »
      This solution is related to Vista however have a look at it and see if looks like something that might fix your issue.
      http://www.techmalaya.com/2009/01/26/fix-could-not-connect-to-the-system-event-notification-service-error-windows-vista/
      truenorth

Truenorth - He has tried this

immental1200

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:22 AM »
      Windows key + R at the same time, should open RUN. Type in services.msc and press OK or hit  ENTER.

Look through the services list when you find "System Event Notification Service" right click it, choose properties and make sure it is set to AUTOMATIC, if this still doesn't work then open CMD as an admin and use the following command:

net localgroup administrators system  /add

if this still doesnt work also do this command in cmd while running as admin

net localgroup administrators localsystem /add

For the CMD commands to work right click on a shortcut to CMD and choose "Run as Administrator"

Forgot to mention, after trying each one of these REBOOT the system to check if its worked or not.

iamyourmom

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 07:03:06 PM »
        I fixed the problem now, with the services.msc fix, but now, i'm not sure if this is connected, but windows explorer keeps crashing on me now, when i just open anything in windows explorer. anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
        Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?

immental1200

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 05:58:46 AM »
        What do you mean "crashing" Do you get an error message? Or does it just close? How are you opening the window? Desktop Shortcut? Start Menu?

iamyourmom

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »
          the explorer window just ctd and a error message would appear like windows explorer has crashed, and all the icons in the task bar would reset

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »
          What protection apps do you have ? ?
          Try updating them and run all your scans overnite and see if things improve...

If not Post back with results...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

iamyourmom

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »
            already ran a scan, came up clean. and now it crashes so bad that the taskbar disappears, and i can't restart explorer.exe through task manager. already tried going back to a earlier restore point. no fix

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »
            What protection apps do you have ? ?

iamyourmom

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
              mse.

edit: also tried booting in safe mode, the same thing (crashes, missing taskbar, cannot restart explorer) happens.
              « Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:27:44 PM by iamyourmom »

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
              DLoad update and run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware...
              If things don't improve i suggest our Virus and Spyware section...

iamyourmom

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 12:48:29 AM »
                scanned with malwarebytes. no threats detected

immental1200

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 05:31:56 AM »
                I don't think this is a virus... I think you have some registry errors ( Thats how the services.msc usually changes. )
                Can you run a repair on windows?

Also as patio said do a SuperAntiSpyware scan as well.