Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: gray box on screen with light gray arrows  (Read 4135 times)

packet

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    gray box on screen with light gray arrows
    « on: August 14, 2011, 06:24:26 AM »
    this is a new build. i have 3 x asus monitors. all 3 monitors are working, but on monitor #3, there is a small rectangular dark gray box (sort of near the center of the screen) with two light gray arrows on the bottom right of it. the box is not clickable or moveable.

system specs:

windows 7 pro 64bit
    asus p8z68 deluxe mobo
    crucial m4 128gb ssd
    silverstone 1000w atx psu
    g.skill ripjaws x series ddr3 1866 16gb
    intel i5 2500k cpu
    asus vw246h monitor x 3

what i've discovered so far:

if i change the order the monitors appear in windows, the dark gray box will always appear on monitor #3, so i don't think it's monitor-related. if i go into the monitor menu and select system setup, then splendid demo mode, and select on, the dark gray box turns light gray on the left side. this has been the only way i've found to interact with it.

here's a screen shot (i've cropped the image, but the box actually appears near the center of the screen and about 3 inches from the top of the screen):

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1064/graybox.jpg

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: gray box on screen with light gray arrows
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:25:46 AM »
    Looks like some program is displaying this box - could be something that's auto-starting.  AutoRuns is very handy for identifying (and selectively disabling) such programs.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

packet

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: gray box on screen with light gray arrows
      « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
      rob, thanks!  ;D

you nailed it. it turned out to be the asus suite (monitors cpu, temps, fans, etc.) i installed just after my first boot.