Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firewire devices not recognized  (Read 2445 times)

billdou812

Firewire devices not recognized
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
Hi all hoping someone can help me before I crack!

I have two external storage devices hooked into my firewire ports.  One day the computer stopped recognizing the devices.  Device manager does not show any conflicts or issues...to try and resolve this issue I have done the following tasks:

1) Update the drivers of the devices
2) Upgraded from Vista to Windows 7
3) Uninstalled the iee from device manager and rebooted
4) Unplugged the devices and rebooted
5) From research on the internet thought it might have been a registry issue...knew I was getting scammed but bought one of those registry cleaner softwares
6) Have not plugged the device into another computer yet....I know it will work and then I will probably resort to the fetal position

Any help, guidance assistance is appreciate

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Firewire devices not recognized
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:22:18 AM »
No. Noting that would be clear and simple.

There are  a lot, I mean a LOT of malicious software out there. One trick they do is to mess with your drivers in such a way that you can not fix it until you really get rid of the malicious software. If you ever do.

Personally, I have had little results using conventional wisdom in getting rid of such @#$%.  Short of erasing the system and starting all over again.

If the devices do work on another system, suspect malicious software. Software drivers  don't just 'wear out' like hardware devices. But if it is hardware, the only solution is to replace the bad stuff.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Firewire devices not recognized
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 05:32:43 AM »
How are they reported in Disk Management ? ?
Were they prematurely diisconnected ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "