Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Certain keys on keyboard not working  (Read 2845 times)

kelsyhb

Topic Starter

Starter

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Certain keys on keyboard not working
    « on: August 20, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
    Hi, this is my first post on these forums so I hope I am posting in the right area!

After eight months of sitting in my closet infected with a virus, I finally took my Dell Inspiron 1525 to a computer repair store and had a new HD installed. It's working great and after being stuck with an Acer netbook during the Dell's hiatus, I'm happy as a clam.

However, some of the keys on the keyboard are not working, and if I remember right, weren't working before the virus took the Dell out of commission. As far as I know, the keys that are not working are: Esc, Delete, and the down arrow key. The guy who fixed my laptop said he couldn't fix the keys, which I thought was kind of odd, as it seems like a pretty trivial task compared to saving all my data and installing a new HD, but then again I know nothing about repairing computers.

Anyone have an idea of what might be causing just these keys to not work? I should say that about a year ago the laptop fell off my bed (oops) and I had to have the power jack repaired, but in all honesty I can't remember if the keys stopped working right after the fall or if it took a while.

Obviously these keys aren't necessary for me to be able to use the laptop but would be handy to have them back so I don't always have to switch to the trackpad.

I am running Windows Vista Home Basic.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Certain keys on keyboard not working
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »
    Buy a cheap keyboard on eBay...

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

TechGeek

Intermediate
      • Guide to WiFi Optimization
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
    Try popping the keys off and cleaning under them. There's always some hair and lint under the keys, but I'm not sure if that could stop them from working.
    I help run my home improvement and home automation forum.

kelsyhb

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »
      Try popping the keys off and cleaning under them. There's always some hair and lint under the keys, but I'm not sure if that could stop them from working.

I did that, bought a can of condensed air (or whatever it's called) (it came with a thin little straw for precision) for the task. Got some pet hairs and a couple crumbs out, but nothing has changed.