Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Potential power supply issue  (Read 2243 times)

Larry Woller

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Potential power supply issue
    « on: August 22, 2011, 05:46:29 AM »
    Hello,
    Not sure if I am in the right category for this, but I moved a computer from one location to the other... the computer turned on fine before moving, now when I plug it in, the green indicator light keeps blinking and the computer won't turn on.. I checked all the connections and they are all Ok...
    Am I right in assuming the power supply may be toast?.. (the little red switch to indicate 115 or 220 has not been move, still on 115).. is there any resolving the issue without purchasing a new power supply??
    Thank you,
    Larry

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Potential power supply issue
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:50:44 AM »
    Before you give up on the PSU i'd try removing a side panel and double check all drive connectioons...remove and re-seat both the vid card and RAM modules as well...
    As always unplug all power and take anti-static precautions...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Larry Woller

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:08:47 AM »
      Thanks for your quick reply!
      I did check and had done all that you had mentioned and still have the issue.. I might add that for a few days before I decided to move it, that on occasion I would open a website and while the page was open at times it would completely disappear as if I closed the page... I suspected issues before this and have moved to a new location, out of the way, so I could perhaps experiment with it... it is a older computer (about 6+ years old) and I don't want to put a great deal of money into it, if at all...smile..

Larry

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »
      Try booting with only 1 stick of RAM, CPU and heatsink, and video card unless it has onboard video (without the hard drive plugged in to see if it POSTs...
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Larry Woller

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »
        No luck!... thanks, everyone, for your attempts to help but believe it may be a dead issue at this time...

Larry