Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problems with installing new hard disk  (Read 9124 times)

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    problems with installing new hard disk
    « on: September 20, 2011, 07:06:36 AM »
    I have taken delivery yesterday of a 320 GB IDE Hard Drive, replacement hard disk for a NEC Powermate VL5 Desktop PC and 2GB Ram as there was only 512MB.  I will list the specs below of the relevant bits.  The old hard drive wasnt very big and it crashed recently so we have bought a one large enough for what they need it for - mainly surfing the WWW and homework.

I created three back up disks when we bought the NEC and have used them a number of times in the past with no problems but with this new disk I am having problerms. as the replacement disk is an empty disk I used fdisk to create an active partition and format the drive which worked absolutely fine but when I tried to use the restore disks to recreate the PC back to factory state this wouldnt work and I get the following message -
    Error while running glue part : 1-
    Press any key to continue...
    and when i press any key it says :
    Error 5 in a box, glue parts error
    Exit from OEMSETUP.
    d:\>

The three disks that I created when I first bought the PC which are the main restore disks that contain XP Pro and all the programs, as this PC came without an XP disk.  The disks are being read fine and the disk checking utility within them confirmed that the disks are in good order.  I have a few choices within the menu for the NEC disk - full system restore to factory state or just install the windows software & Drivers as well as some other utility options such as formating the drive and Fdisk.  None of the install options are working and I really want to do a full restore as this is a replcement disk.

I think part of the problem may be that I used Fdisk to create an MS Dos partition and have set this as the active partition, so I think I may need to delete the MS-Dos partition and recreate the partition as a primary or extended logical partition.  I will try this when I am back in front of the pc unless this is not the right thing to do and someone can suggest a better alternative.

The bios is seeing both the new RAM and the new disk.
    OK The specs
    Replacement drive Seagate barracuda 7200.10, 320 GB IDE Hard Drive - 3.5 inch 16mg cache ram 7200 rpm. (used disk bought from supplier on WWW - fully Gteed for 12 months)
    RAM  - INTEGRAL - PC-3200 DDR-400 DIMM RAM Memory Module - 2 x 1GB (bought new from PC World) (2GB is the max this machine can take)
    PC SPEC - NEC Powermate VL5 Desktop - will supply Serial No's later when in front of the machine.
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
    • Socket-A (Socket-462)
      • Support for an AMD Athlon XPTM Thoroughbred with a 266 MHz system bus, 2.0 GHz to 2.6 GHz or higher.
      • Support for an AMD Athlon XPTM Barton with a 333 MHz system bus, 2.8 GHz to 3.0 GHz or higher.
    • VIA KM400 chipset
      • North Bridge: VIA VT8378 System Controller
      • South Bridge: VIA VT8235 V-Link South Bridge
    • Graphic controller integrated on the VIA VT8378 System Controller with
      • 8, 16, 32 and 64 MB frame buffer using system memory
      • Internal AGP 8x performance
    • Two DIMM sockets for DDR 266 and 333 MHz memory modules, up to two GB support
    • 2-channel Ultra Ultra ATA 133/100/66/33 Bus Master IDE controller
    • Realtek ALC650 AC'97 audio codec
    • Fast Ethernet Controller integrated to the VIA chipset
    • 3 PCI bus masters slots , 1 AGP slot
    • 4 USB 2.0 connectors (2 on the back panel, 2 on the front panel)
    • Serial and parallel port
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio:1 Mic-In,1 Line-In, 1 Line-Out
    Any thoughts on how to solve this problem would be hugely appreciated.

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: problems with installing new hard disk
      « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
      OK here are the specific details for all the hardware - I cant edit the first post

NEC
      S/N 3030 8404 0000
      PID 0423789
      Model / Type Ref ZEB - QUA
      MS WHQL No QU2 875134
      P/N Powermate - VL5
      MIM P72K340 - 1000A01

SEAGATE HD
      Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GBytes
      S/N 9QFAFLYL
      ST3320620A
      P/N 9BJ04G - 307
      Firmware 3.AAF
      Data Code 08387
      Site Code TK

Let me know if there is any other info you need.

thanks in advance

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 09:50:47 AM »
      Remove and re-create the partition as a simple nTFS partition...
      Any reason for having to use FDisk ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
      From what I could find with a google search, glue parts error 5 is format related.

What I would do is take that new hard drive and hook it up as a slave in a working computer. Then I'd fire up disk management, delete those partitions that you've created, then create a new primary partition and format it as NTFS.

Once that was done, I'd put the drive into the NEC and try running the restore disks again.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »
        Remove and re-create the partition as a simple nTFS partition...
        Any reason for having to use FDisk ? ?

Hi Patio

I used f disk as the drive came empty and I dont have windows so I need to be able to restore from the recovery CD's.  I did just update my previus post which hasnt worked but what I wrote was

I have just spoken with the NEC tech support and the chappie there reckons that it looks like there is a problem with the hard disk being able to communicate with the CD drive as we did a Q:/reloadhs command whoich worked fine but we then got an error message saying that the c: couldnt read the media (sorry cant remember exactly what the message was).  We then did an abort as nothing happened with a retry and when I pressed abort it took me into the recovery cd menu.  when i selected the option to fully recover it looked like it was workoing but in reality nothing was happening - i had this issue the other evemning with the old hard disk.

I was using Fdisk as I dont know of another way of formatting the hard drive - any thoughts?

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
          From what I could find with a google search, glue parts error 5 is format related.

What I would do is take that new hard drive and hook it up as a slave in a working computer. Then I'd fire up disk management, delete those partitions that you've created, then create a new primary partition and format it as NTFS.

Once that was done, I'd put the drive into the NEC and try running the restore disks again.

Hi jj3000

I dont think I have another suitable machine that I can use to hook this up as a slave but I did delete the partitions.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:57:48 AM by billjosh »

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »
            OK I just tried to do a c:\dir and I have the message invalid media type reading drive c - abort, retry, fail?

pressing F gives the message Fail on INT 24

OK so have just gone into the DOS prompt and at the c: I typed "convert c: /fs:ntfs" and go the same invalid media type .... ,message.

And I am now formatting the c: drive - so lets see if that works!!

Any other thoughts?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:56:16 AM by billjosh »

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »
            Where are you running fdisk from, the recovery disk? How do you get to the DOS prompt?

This is XP we're talking about right?
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »
              Where are you running fdisk from, the recovery disk? How do you get to the DOS prompt?

This is XP we're talking about right?

Hi JJ - yes its an XP machine.

I am running F disk from the command prompt but I can run it from within the recovery disk menu too.

The dos prompt is coming up if I cancel the recoery disks at boot up and then it takes me to the dos prompt.

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
                OK format finished and c:drive is now showing 305,168.25 MB free.

tried to but couldnt convert c: to ntfs from dos prompt.

I have also just tried to run the recovery disks and the message i am now getting is as follows -
                writing EXT HS
                Current part =GWS000A01
                Running Q:\parts\wsc000AD.01\part.exe
                Arguments : >/RUN<

Glue PART V 1.05

DONE

*READING EXT HS
                * WRITING EXT HS
                => RETURN CODE = 0

=> RUNNING GLUE N1 : <GWSE000AXX>
                * WRITING EXT HS
                Current part =GWSE000ABXX
                Running q:\PARTS\WSE000AB.XX\part.exe
                Arguments : >/RUN<

GLUE PART V 1.06
                Copyright (c) 1998 Packard Bell NEC Services, Inc

Invalid media type reading c
                Abort, Retry, Fail?

===

Pressing abort takes you straight to the recovery program copying files to the hard drive routine but it did this once before on the old disk and nothing happened at all after about 3 hours.  Normally the files would be all copied over from all three disks in about an hour or so.

There is no blinking hard disk light and not a lot of noise from the CD or the disk so I am assuming this is again not backing up but I will give it enough time

Please be patient.  This will take some time it says  :-\ - not convinced.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
                  Is there anyone on this forum that can help me please as I am now totally stuck.

it was clear after 2 hours last night that nothing was happening - I really dont know what to do now.

Any help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :)

Lisa_maree

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
                  Just checked over all the data you have supplied great to get so much detail thank you. I would suggest the following. That  the nec doesn't support drives over 137GB not 48 bit LBA support. There fore you would need to jumper the seagate for limited size of less than 137GB that model is able to do that. Also check the ide cable for drive 0 drive 1 plugs if this is the case then you need to jumper the drive for cable select. Once the drive is under 137GB the system restore disks you made will work. I hope this helps  :)

Lisa

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 12:31:37 AM »
                  I typed "convert c: /fs:ntfs
                  What are you converting? FAT files, all in DOS mode? You need access to another machine using Disk manager utility included from the OS as suggested.

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 01:10:29 AM »
                    Just checked over all the data you have supplied great to get so much detail thank you. I would suggest the following. That  the nec doesn't support drives over 137GB not 48 bit LBA support. There fore you would need to jumper the seagate for limited size of less than 137GB that model is able to do that. Also check the ide cable for drive 0 drive 1 plugs if this is the case then you need to jumper the drive for cable select. Once the drive is under 137GB the system restore disks you made will work. I hope this helps  :)

Lisa

Lisa Thank you very much.  We are getting into area I have not ventured before so I may have to come back to you for a bit of assistance.  I think I am OK to find out which is the correct setting to limit the drive but can you expand a bit on how to check the cable please? Sorry to be a nuisance.

Thanks again.

billjosh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:10 AM »
                      Hi Lisa - I just had another thought - if the maximum size of drive that this NEC supports is 137GB then can I create three partitions of say 2 x 137 & 1 x 46 which would then allow the full use of all of the 320GB disk I have?

I have just found a great report at http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf which is 27 pages of details about the 137 capacity barrier.

Can you suggest any other sources of detail to help me with the set up.

ALso I cant see anywhere on the drive that specifically allows me to set the jumpers to the 137 size - I have the set up guide for my drive http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/iguides/ata/100402370a.pdf and it details where to set the jumpers for various options but I cant see anythign that just refers to 137GB.

Am I missing something?