Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: system is booting from the wrong disk  (Read 3765 times)

kwisj

Topic Starter

Rookie

system is booting from the wrong disk
    « on: September 21, 2011, 01:53:38 AM »
    Hi
    I have just built a new XP 32 system,and all works fine. What I thought I would do to finish off was to connect my old system disk ´´Seagate Barracuda 7200.7´´ to my new system just to be able to access the data files, and copy them over to the new set up. I have done this before without any grief. I know that the old XP OS is still on there, but I did not think it would boot from it without me telling the system to do so.
    I thought things were suspicious when I checked the BIOS and it only seemed to see the IDE disk, which the seagate is. The seagate is connected to the MOBO through the IDE plug.
    The other two disks, including the new system disk, are connected via the SATA ports on the MOBO. When the IDE disk is not connected the system boots from the new C system disk, when the seagate IDE disk is connected the system boots from it.
    I´m sure I´m missing something really obvious, but its not obvious to me.
    Can anyone give me some advice as what settings to adjust so I can just access the data on the seagate disk and stop my pc from booting from the wrong disk? Just ran Belarc system audit, and for some reason my printer is being detected as a hard drive! Does this mean things are well wrong?
    MOBO Asus P5SD2-VM
    Thanks for your time in reading
    Kwisj

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: system is booting from the wrong disk
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:26:35 AM »
    Printer is being detected as hard drive... ;D 

First, reset your CMOS, because your BIOS is evidently wonky and is not enumerating your USB devices properly.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI

Next, set your desired boot order.
    pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

blackrainbow

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:18:46 AM »
    you might have to change the little jumper on the hard drive to set it as slave

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

kwisj

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:29:09 AM »
      Hi guys
      Thanx for the replies. I did remove the jumper, as according to the seagate web site instructions, removal of it told the disk to act as a slave. Also the instructions on the disk  said the same. This made no difference. In the BIOS, with the seagate plugged in the only disk that was detected was the seagate!
      In the end I have just copied the data over my network to the new PC, from the old one. Which was no big deal. Obviously the problem arises from the fact that the seagate is an IDE (very old), and that when, previoulsy,  i plugged an old system disk into a new set up, that disk was a SATA, and as I have read, the problem that I have been experiencing wont occur if all the disks are SATA. And as its now virtually impossible to buy an IDE disk, I should not have this problem again.
      Take it easy
      Kwisj

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 02:58:01 AM »
      only disk that was detected was the seagate!
      Some BIOS have an option to change IDE compatibility mode, Enhanced mode, SATA/IDE Native mode.

kwisj

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:19:58 AM »
        thanx Jason I will have a look at that
        jason