Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot control volume.  (Read 4141 times)

darqueleit

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Cannot control volume.
    « on: September 26, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »
    I have read many posts posts about volume control. Most reference volume control missing. My problem is different. My volume control icon is there . The problem is I can't control the volume. If I hit volume up it goes to max. If I hit volume down it goes all the way down to nothing. I can't get anything in between. This happens whether I use my mouse or the +/- buttons on my wireless key board. It seems to work for a little while if I reboot but then the problem returns. Any suggestions?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cannot control volume.
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Please supply additional information. Is this a Laptop, Notebook or other portable device?
    Some  portable devices have a mechanical volume control independent of the Windows volume control. This can also happen with some media players.

darqueleit

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:32:57 PM »
      problem is on my desktoop. Dell Dimension E-310 running windows XP service pack 3.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
      You did not say if you had made any changes to the system. If the system did that out of the box, you would return it to Dell.
      Without the details it is guess work from here. The sound problem with Windows 7 and recent Dell models is with the drivers.  You have to use the Dell drivers, not the drivers from the chip maker. But this is only a problem for individuals who decide to reformat the drive and start over. They  forget that the drivers are not on the install DVD. Generic drivers are not quite right.
      The above is all guess work. Maybe it is  wrong. But without specific details of how and when this started, the is about the best.  The guess work is based on similar post on the Dell forums. The typical solution is to download the exact drivers from Dell for that model.
      Even if device manager says all is OK.

And if is just not Windows 7. The rule also works for older Dell machines with XP. Dell does their own drivers. Get the Dell drivers.

If anybody else here knows more about this, please come in.

darqueleit

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 01:18:34 AM »
        I have wiped this hard drive several times but you made me think that perhaps the last time I did not use the original Dell driver and allowed the option of "search the net for a suitable driver" and one was chosen for me that while being close was not an exact match. This was a come and go problem so it has been hard to pin down. I have uninstalled the current driver and installed the one from the original driver and utilities disk that came with the machine. Thanks for your help and I will have to wait and see if this solves the problem.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:59:27 AM »
        Are you talking about the volume up and down on a keyboard or what? Where are you pressing it?

If it's a keyboard, what is the model of the keyboard? (look on the bottom, should be a label)

Some keyboards require software for their media and volume keys to work correctly (or at all).

darqueleit

Topic Starter

Starter
          « Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:09:38 PM »
          Problem is not with my keyboard. (Logitech model Y-RAJ56A) The result is the same whether I am trying to adjust volume with the keyboard or if click on the volume control on the taskbar with my mouse. I even shut down the keyboard (removed the batteries) because I thought perhaps the volume button on it was making contact when I wasn't pressing it. I just let Windows do a search for an updated driver and it installed a new one. My hopes are not high as I have done this before. Volume control is working fine at the moment. Will see how long it lasts.
          « Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:20:45 PM by darqueleit »

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:30:25 PM »
          I'll go ahead and cross my fingers for you :)
          Evil is an exact science.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:45:46 AM »
          Can you check your Windows component services startup type on Human Interface Device Access? Start-Run-type services.msc and change to Manual. Apply and exit.