Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway NV53A36U CMOS battery problem? Help fixing it, if so, please.  (Read 5369 times)

mattymckoble

System Info: Gateway NV53A-36u with WIN7 Home Premium 64-bit
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Processor: AMD Phenom II N830 Triple-Core @ 2.10GHz
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 w/ 2GB available graphics memory
HD: 284 GB (can't find info on speed but I'm sure this isn't an HD problem)

Problem: -Upon restarting, my system date/time resets to factory defaults (sometime in 2008).
-Some of my notification trey icons are missing and the ones there are spread out across my entire Windows taskbar with blank spaces between them.
-When restarting, it won't reboot (keeps trying to, shutting down, trying to, shutting down) unless I close and reopen the lid.

Gateway support thinks it's a faulty CMOS battery but they've misdiagnosed my problems before (saying I needed a new HD when a previous problem was caused by a simple Windows error that only required a Windows reinstall)

Steps I've taken in attempts to resolve issue: Ran a safe mode full system virus scan with AVG Pro 2012.
-Restored to before problems began using System Restore.
-Reset BIOS settings within the BIOS setup menu

Specific questions I have:
-Does this sound like a CMOS battery problem to you?
-Is there a way to figure out exactly what type/model of CMOS battery I'll need to replace my current one WITHOUT opening my laptop and physically examining the current (factory installed) CMOS battery?
-Does anybody know, either precisely or generally, how to access the CMOS battery on this laptop? Gateway claims it's not accessible to users, but that I can give it to them to fix for $200, so I don't particularly trust their word.

I've replaced RAM on laptops before and could do so blindfolded, so I'm pretty confident in opening laptops and messing about inside. I've never opened this one (so I didn't mess something up accidentally, at least not that way). That said, with instructions, I'd be more than comfortable doing this, myself instead of sending it to Gateway for a 15 minute and $5 repair that will cost me $200.

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to make sure I got as much out there in the initial post as possible. If any additional info is needed, I'll certainly do my best to get it. Thank you in advance for the help, I really, really appreciate it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Gateway NV53A36U CMOS battery problem? Help fixing it, if so, please.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 02:48:17 PM »
Is it out of warranty?  Is the computer about one year old?
Gateway support thinks it's a faulty CMOS battery but they've misdiagnosed my problems before (saying I needed a new HD when a previous problem was caused by a simple Windows error that only required a Windows reinstall)
How do you know it was NOT a HD error? If you are an diagnostic expert, why are you asking nus?  Do you not imagine that the Dell company has had some experience with its own products? Neither the HD not the Windows systems should fail non a new PC. Any premature failure puts every tung about the PC under suspicion.
You can try no replace the CMOS cell, but it is an item that fails after years, not months of use. So it is deep inside the case. See the service manual. Look under the keyboard.

immental1200

Re: Gateway NV53A36U CMOS battery problem? Help fixing it, if so, please.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
I have had alot of laptops now where the CMOS battery is either in with the RAM, or in with the wifi card. (These both usually have plastic covers.)

And I have had quite a few where the battery is a standard one, sealed in plastic with a cable pre-attatched.