Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Build-No Life  (Read 2487 times)

Jitlok

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    New Build-No Life
    « on: October 02, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
    I built a desktop after moving and leaving my old one with family. I bought everything from monitor to mouse. I've built computers for friends an family and got them to work or found a solution for the reason they wouldn't. Unfortunately this has got me stomped.

I get no power to the computer, no fans spinning, no LED, nothing. I went through trial and error of figuring out the problem. As usual I figured the culprit to be the PSU after buying a multimeter. So I RMA'ed it and when I got it back still nothing. I then RMA'ed my motherboard. And still same issue. I tried each piece separately, I tried bread boarding. I tested the power outlets, I tried shorting the PW switch thinking it might just be the power button. I tested and inspected most issues. One I'm left with is the CPU, but I figured I would get some kind of power. Even hooking up fans and only fans and trying to short the PSU they still don't run (this is using the "new" RMA'ed PSU). This is my last resort after which I left with taking it to a computer repair because I simply have very little time to mess with it.

Parts (I only put what I think is an issue. With my previous tests I did not use RAM, HD, video card, Cd-rom seeing as I get absolutely no power)

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASRock Z68 PRO3-M LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

NZXT Crafted Series Vulcan Black Steel / Plastic Gaming mATX Computer Case

The only things I could think are an issue are the CPU or the RMA'ed PSU and MOBO are still defective. If you could be so kind as to give advice to plausible solutions or tests I have over looked I will be greatly appreciated. Money isn't an issue if a solution requires a new purchase of a small item but I'm trying to avoid a $70+ hourly fee for computer repair. If you need more information please ask.

Thank you in advance for your time.

-ronn  :'(

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New Build-No Life
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »
    I sympathize entirely with your problem.  It should be possible to do some simple tests on just the power saw why buy itself or with an accessory.
    A multimeter or VOM  is very essential for power supply testing.  However, but there are some difficulties with using just the VOM by itself to test the power supply.  If you have another accessory around such as the old hard drive or even old CD-ROM drive you can use than as load for the power supply. After consulting your motherboard documentation you should be able to locate the wires that activate the power supply
    Here is a video. But be careful. A mistake can do harm.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogkIwzsUAsE

techravi

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
      try to change your power supply and check
      there are some situations this problem can be occured by graphics adapter as well ( in case of external )
      check cables
      if it not resolved the problem will on mother board exchange it from where you purchased
      hope this information helps

Jitlok

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:57:29 PM »
        Thanks for the responses, but the paper clip test doesn't bring any life to any component with the  "new" RMA'ED psu. I decided to try and RMA one more time to see if it brings any results but Seasonics customer support isn't exactly worth while. They also suggested that test, but went straight to the RMA process. They also assured me they test the PSU before they ship it out, if that's the case then why isn't it working...