Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: task manager will not open  (Read 2758 times)

jsteen

task manager will not open
« on: September 04, 2005, 12:16:21 PM »
I am having trouble with Task Manager.  I have tried  CTRL-ALT-DEL, Start, Run Taskmgr.  The computer tells me (Another program is currently using this file).  Any idea how to get task manager to work again so I can see what all is running on this laptop. This is Windows XP Home Edition.

Raptor

Re: task manager will not open
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 02:16:17 PM »
Have you scanned for Trojan Horses, Viruses and Spyware?

What has led to this problem?

jsteen

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 02:54:17 PM »
I have virus software that scans weekly. No sign of any virus's or Trojans.  Nothing led up to this problem that I am aware of, just tried opening Task manager recently and it didn't work. Computer runs slow sometimes, we notice it when we are playing the Spider solitaire game.  It freezes up about once a month.  I try and stay on top of what is running in task manager to I know if somethiing is out of the ordinary.  I recently found a website that tells me what runs in task manager and why so I can monitor if it is suppose to be there or not.  Since I can't get in there, who knows what may be going on.  I even tried safe mode to open task manager and it didn't work.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 04:46:53 PM »
What scanners and security software is used?