Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton Antivirus deleted a Windows nls file...  (Read 3184 times)

Gatika

Norton Antivirus deleted a Windows nls file...
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:54:56 AM »
Okay, we have Windows XP Home Edition, on a Dell Dimension 8200. When I did a full system scan yesterday with Norton Antivirus, it detected and deleted a 'suspicious' file. When I started my puter this morning, it said the following:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\system32\c_1252.nls

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the Original Setup CD-ROM. Select r at the first screen to start repair.

Well, we don't have our set-up cd anymore, who knows what happened to them.

So now I'm stuck, and I hate Norton Antivirus... :'(

Should I just take this thing to Future Shop or something? Is there any way to find and load that one file? (I'm now on my Dad's work laptop).

minihackman

Re: Norton Antivirus deleted a Windows nls file...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 11:58:23 AM »
youll never see the file again. unless you can access the program...wait, that wouldnt work. take your harddrive to a shop or somthing. they could probably find that file in the quarintined file from norton. but then youd have to get another box to put your hard drive in. oh well

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »
    Gatika.......Well first of all , I don't think Nortons anti virus is the problem .........unless someone using the dimension 8200 visited some site which infected the pc . In that case the file you are looking for will be (or should be in the quarantine folder ) .

Are you able to boot it up in safe mode ?

Well, we don't have our set-up cd anymore, who knows what happened to them.

Without any backup restore disks ( which would have come with the PC ) your in big trouble ........you don't just lose that sort of thing .

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 12:15:06 PM »
    Try the following:

1. Before Windows XP loads, press F8
    2. Choose last known good configuration.

Gatika

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 12:58:34 PM »
    Thanks for the responses!

Okay, I tried 'last known good config' and safe mode startup, but both of those lead me back to the same error message.

I'm certain it was Norton that deleted the file. When I did a full system scan yesterday, Norton found four 'suspicious' files, but the 'delete failed' for three and succeeded for one (I don't remember it asking me if I wanted them deleted, it just told me that it had). I checked out where the other three undeletable files were (before I turned off my computer yesterday) and they were in the same folder (system32) as the one which is now considered missing or corrupt. So I'm sure it was Norton.

I think we made the mistake of loaning those setup cds to someone several years ago, and they were never returned.  :-/

That's a mistake that'll never be repeated. If I can find someone else that has Windows XP Home Ed and borrow their stuff (and carefully return it), do you think we could recover the file that way? Are their several different versions of Windows XP Home, or just one?

Mac

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 01:39:48 PM »
    Is the drive formatted to NTFS or to FAT32? It could make a difference...C_1252.nls File Missing or Corrupt
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 01:40:16 PM by Mac »

Gatika

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 04:11:28 PM »
    I honestly don't know. How do I check/change how my drive is formatted? What is the difference?

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 04:14:18 PM »
    I honestly don't know. How do I check/change how my drive is formatted? What is the difference?

Try using a Windows 98 bootdiskette, if it can read the Hard Disk Drive/partitions it is FAT32. If it can not read them, it is NTFS.

Gatika

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 05:55:59 PM »
    Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows 98 boot diskette.  :-/

We're gonna see if we can borrow someone's installation cd for XP Home.

Thanks for the help (especially that c_1252 missing or corrupt link, that's rather useful   ;D )

This forum is pretty cool. It is now bookmarked.  :D

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 11:04:39 PM »
      For future modify the setting of Norton.

Under configure section change the "delete file" to quarrantine.
      Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Mac

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 12:31:17 AM »
      Good thinking!

Mac

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 12:37:57 AM »
      You can download a '98 bootdiskette image file from here...

BOOTDISK ARCHIVE

...to a good computer's hard drive, double-click on the image file and put a floppy in the A: drive to make yourself a '98 bootdisk.

DOS COMMANDS
      « Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 12:38:27 AM by Mac »