Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dell laptop and external monitor issues  (Read 2837 times)

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    dell laptop and external monitor issues
    « on: October 22, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
    I have a dell inspiron running windows 7. I have it connected to an external monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. What I want to change is the fact that when I don't use the laptop for a short while the external screen turns off. I know I can change this setting in  power management but I want the display to stay on when it is showing on the external monitor but have it turn off after a short while when I am using the laptops own screen.

So basically I don't want the display to turn off when the display is on the external monitor, but when I am using the laptops own display, without an external monitor then the display can turn off to save battery. Is this possible?

Thanks.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: dell laptop and external monitor issues
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
    You will need to adjust the time of turning display off whenever you switch display from your Power options. When on external, the option for turn off the display(on battery and plugged in) should be Never. While on the laptop screen is specify the time to turn off display and then save changes. In short, there is only one setting for both and then changing that option manually when switching display.

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
      Thanks for your help. I was hoping there would be some sort of automatic solution, where the laptop knows that there is an external monitor connected and it stays on. But thank you.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
      If you only use the external monitor at times when the laptop is on AC power, you could specify that there is no screen blanking when on AC power, and your previous blanking setting when on battery power.