Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Using wrong Video Card  (Read 3668 times)

zeroornothing

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop Using wrong Video Card
    « on: October 27, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »
    I am currently using a very expensive HP laptop with 6G RAM, 2.0 GHZ i7 CPU, and a Radeon (TM) HD 6490M graphics card. But for some reason, when I do a system scan of my computer, all it says is that I am using the integrated HD graphics, and thus my games are hardly running. When I go into my device manager, under the Display adapters it says that I have the HD 6490 as well as the Radeon HD Graphics. I also tried to go onto the Radeon site and update the drives but it says its  not compatable and I need to contact HP to get the mobile versions of the drivers. Can someone please help me? I payed $1800 for this laptop so I could run games on it, but I can hardly run anything, including older games.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Laptop Using wrong Video Card
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:43 PM »
    Maybe its too late but I would have invest on a desktop for gaming for that price. ;D Anyway, is there a switch to toggle on graphics or does laptop automatically recognizing the video effects? As looking on a specific dv6t HP model here http://www.mylaptopreview.com/Laptops/HP/2011/0617/HP-Pavilion-dv6t.html
    For graphics and performance quote :
    The dv6t has switchable graphics, featuring both an integrated Intel HD   3000 Graphics chip and a discrete AMD Radeon HD 6490M Graphics chip with   1GB of dedicated memory. While not as useful as Nvidia's Optimus   technology, which automatically switches between GPUs based on   individual applications, the dv6t can toggle between the cards as a   power-saving measure, asking users if they'd like to switch to the AMD   card when the dv6t isn't plugged in. Also unlike notebooks with Nvidia   Optimus, the screen blinks a few times during the transition.

zeroornothing

Topic Starter

Re: Laptop Using wrong Video Card
      « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 06:25:56 AM »
      I was in need of a laptop for my current schooling situation, otherwise I would have gone with a laptop. The laptop is a dv6t I believe, but I have never received a message asking if I wanted to switch to the other card. Would you know where I could find the setting to manually change it?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert