Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Yahoo vs any other home page Google Chrome ?  (Read 14513 times)

w6pea

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    My Yahoo vs any other home page Google Chrome ?
    « on: October 29, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
    I am getting sick of all the bovine excrement from Yahoo.  :-\ They want me to down load new applications, Facebook,Twitter, etc. etc. to my home page.  ::) Now they have screwed up our bookmarks on the homepage.  :o Now we need to download another useless toolbar with more bovine excrement, more pop-up ads and spyware.  >:(
    Help is there another home page set up or am I stuck with My Yahoo or some bovine excrement from Microsoft?

I have a good web browser Firefox. IMHO it runs circles around IE.
    Remember..."Without Trucks and Truck Drivers America Stops! "
    "Semper Fi"

truenorth

Guru

Re: My Yahoo vs any other home page Google Chrome ?
      « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »
      Under normal conditions a CH member would be welcoming you to the CH forums. However as this is your 1st post you have certainly gotten off on a bad foot. There is absolutely NO reason for you to have to use the language that you have to make your point. A direct question related to what is your issue and what you would like to do about it would most likely have produced a much more favorable response than this is. Your extravagant use of emoticons is equally non productive if you really want our help.truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »
      He (it's a male, I'm sure) thinks you "download" things to your home page... He must have seen "bovine excrement" someplace and thought it sounded clever. He also seems to think that home pages are something you are forced to use. Rather odd.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
      1. set homepage to about:blank
      2. No excrement (bovine, feline, canine, or equine even) present.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
      I am getting sick of all the bovine excrement from Yahoo.  :-\ They want me to down load new applications, Facebook,Twitter, etc. etc. to my home page.  ::) Now they have screwed up our bookmarks on the homepage.  :o Now we need to download another useless toolbar with more bovine excrement, more pop-up ads and spyware.  >:(
      I visit Yahoo.com frequently and have not noticed these issues.  Are you talking about the home page?  Can you state a specific page and where on the page you see these issues? 

w6pea

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »
        Soybean

On my Lap Top, every time I start it and then click on Firefox, when it opens Yahoo....it tells me I must log in. When I sign in it then starts with a yellow line across the bottom of the page and it asks or it says add Face Book or some other application to my home page. Then when it goes to My.Yahoo it has that same message across the bottom. If I click on a web site other than some thing on my home page it does the same thing. Some times when we try to log into My.Yahoo it says that my Log in is too short needs 6 numbers or letters and that my password is too short. I have been using the My.Yahoo as a home page for more years than I care to remember.

Now in order to get my book marks it tell me they are no longer on the home page. I need to download a new version toolbar. I have no desire for that. Is Google chrome any better or is it a bunch of advertisements also.
        I have AT&T U-Verse and when I get my e-mail I can get it by logging into the home page they want us to have. I am almost ready to go back to Cox Cable at least they don't advertise on their e-mail pages and home page. At least with Cox Cable I can use Firefox Thunder Bird or MS Outlook. I got tired of all of the security updates with MS

Changing from one provider to another really sucks. I don't mind having the blank page but I like to be able to look at the News and weather & sports, I also have a link to a thing called urban word of the day. Also by changing to the blank page I am getting a lot of flack from "She Who Must be Obeyed" I haven't had any problems with my desk top. but on the laptop it is really getting to begin to suck. This started a couple of months ago with one of the FireFox and Thunder Bird Updates, saying that the Yahoo Tool Bar was not compatible with Fire Fox.

I don't want to get into a p@%*&&+ contest with Salmon Trout or truenorth from their comments, oh never mind I will take what their comments were with a pound of Kosher Salt.

"Semper Fi"

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:45:50 PM »
        None of firefox, IE, or Chrome have advertisements.

That is either yahoo, or more likely, yahoo toolbar for which I can see no reason to have it installed.

I am almost ready to go back to Cox Cable
        What does your ISP have to do with it?

I think the "problem" is two-fold.

There is a bit of confusion about several different things.

Your ISP merely provides you a connection to the internet. Oftentimes they will have a homepage, or profile, account etc information, but that is totally disparate from the service you are paying them for. They also often provide a e-mail address, but you don't have to use it, of course.

Browser

The browser is merely an application that views web pages. That's it. Google Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc do not advertise. the toolbars you have installed are the problem with the browser, and the fact is that you, or somebody, installed those to begin with, perhaps under the false belief that they provide a useful feature.

Browsers provide favourites and bookmarks. Why not use the browser's built-in functionality for this? At this point it sounds like what you are using is causing you trouble, and yet you also refuse to switch. to another home page. There is nothing you can do to "fix" it; they changed it and now it's different.

Home Page

Your home page has absolutely nothing to do with either the browser, or (usually) your ISP. sometimes your ISP may set a home page for you if you get them to do the setup, but aside from that there is no "restriction" or rule that you have to use that homepage. Personally, I use google.ca as my homepage. and I keep bookmarks using the browser functionality specifically built for that purpose.

Basically, in a nutshell-

your ISP provides internet service which includes the ability to browse the web, a web browser provides an application for you to perform this web browsing, and a home page is merely the initial web page that the browser loads.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 02:51:09 PM »
        A) Yahoo is dropping bookmarks support...personally i think that's a lousy way to store anything you need...but that's just me...

B) Yahoo does NOT have to be your homepage if your so bovined out about it...the homepage can be customised to any page you want as BC illustrated above...

C) I believe you're infected if the homepage is requesting all those changes...have you considered this ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 03:12:16 PM »
        You will always see advertising on major news-oriented websites.  That’s just the nature of the game.  Ads generate revenue for them and they must have revenue to operate.

But, I get the impression what you see when you go to Yahoo is not quite the same thing as what most users see.  If so, the reason that I suspect is that your Yahoo page is a “branded” version of yahoo.com.  In other words, if you went to a public library and used a computer to visit yahoo.com, you would see something different than what you see at home. 

AT&T is your ISP, right?  So, when you go to your “Yahoo” page, do you see www.yahoo.com in your browser’s web address box or do you see something else such as att.yahoo.com? 

w6pea

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
          When I log into my laptop I see http://my.yahoo.com/,  If I log out of My.Yahoo I see http://www.yahoo.com/, If I sign in with my E-mail address I see http://att.yahoo.com

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It !    Motor-T
          "Semper Fi"

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
          They want me to down load new applications, Facebook,Twitter, etc. etc. to my home page.  ::) Now they have screwed up our bookmarks on the homepage.  :o Now we need to download another useless toolbar ...
          Exactly what URL, i.e. web address, do you have loaded in your browser when you encounter all the above?

w6pea

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

"Semper Fi"

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 01:03:27 AM »
            I don't see those things he mentioned when I go there.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 08:08:10 AM »
            I don't see those things he mentioned when I go there.
            Same here.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/my/index.html?pir=OfdR141ibUkM1nxa25OczLwXhEVp5gA6eQ--

This one.
            I see nothing whatsoever on that page pertaining to facebook or twitter.  And, why would you even mention that page?  It's not a page you would normally go to; it's a HELP page, which you said nothing about until your last post.  Your posts preceding the last one seemed to imply you were talking about the Yahoo home page and/or your page for accessing your email via web browser.   

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 10:18:09 AM »
              Nor do I with Opera 11:52,truenorth