Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Operating system missing  (Read 2467 times)

vozzyy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Operating system missing
    « on: November 11, 2011, 12:28:06 PM »
    I had a small virus on Dell XPS. Its about 8 months old with home edition. I did a system restore and a virus was hanging around about buying some virus scanner software...anyways. I did a restore and it was fine but the window kept popping up so I did another restore and I selected something different from the list. I was going fast and I obviously wasnt paying attention. I hit cancel after it started restoring the files and I believe it was warning me that I would lose my stuff if I continued. I hit cancel now I have the missing operating system error. Dell didnt send me a windows 7 cd. I was suppose to let them backup my files OL but Im not letting anybody have access to my puter. So I bought an eternal HD and backed up everything there. I plugged into my laptop to check and everythings there. Heres the ? How the F do I restore from my external HD if missing my software?.......

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Operating system missing
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »
    First of all, system restore does not eliminate the virus. Second, copying infected data is not a good idea.  Last, I really don't understand what you're trying to do.

If I were you, at this point I'd format the hd and start from scratch - and that's not a suggest I make often or lightly.

vozzyy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Operating system missing
      « Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »
      another site wanted me to somehow get to advanced settings to restore......so far I cant