Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not sure this falls under software  (Read 2587 times)

brianb22

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Not sure this falls under software
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
In a previous post under hardware I tried to detail the problems I'm having getting a HD installed.  Don't worry mister moderator I'm not making multiple posts on the same subject!!  So I reseated the video card, changed the cables on the hd and it started to boot up.  Said it was automatically configuring the IDE drive.  Then it pops up that I need to go into setup to set date and time.  Did that and checked boot sequence.  Long story short it essentially went back to after the Dell loading window it's a black screen with a blinking cursor.  Was getting two POST beeps, now none.  Did a diagnostics test, hd passed.  So I pretty much gave up on saving anything off the drive and went to install Windows 7 on it.  Halfway through it says "windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.  Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS.  Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.  The partition is of an unrecognized type."  It's a really old hd so I'm assuming it's FAT32 or whatever came before that.(if anything did).  There's a section where I can load drivers but I have not clue where I would get those or if they would even help. 

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Not sure this falls under software
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
I don't know how you're trying to install W7, but what you have to do is boot to the W7 DVD, choose the option to delete any existing partitions, then recreate the partition(s), format, and install. There are plenty of guides on the web that will walk you through a clean install of Windows 7.

brianb22

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
I was trying not to delete the partitions in hopes of saving the data but since I can't get the hd to boot up then I guess that's looking like it's not going to happen.  It already had a version of windows on it so my assumption was it would boot up regardless and then I would update the OS.  Guess not

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
A) Slave Drive Tutorial...

To retrieve the data before the wipe...

B) Not a good idea to get testy with mister moderator as you called him...whoever that was...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

brianb22

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »
i already wiped it and installed windows.  works now.  my friend didn't care too much about the data so wasn't a big deal.  i will keep that link for later use.  thanks.
as far as the moderator thing, i mentioned that from a another post.  i posted something a week ago and wasn't getting much feedback on it.  so i posted another one about the same topic hoping to elicit some help.  i know that sort of thing is frowned upon and for the most part rightfully so.  but what i had a problem with was that he deleted it, posted a reply on the original saying to not do it and that was it.  ok you did your job as moderator.  would it have been so hard to offer some advice on the problem i was having?  his rank was "guru" so he obviously considers himself qualified in all things computer.  i just don't get these sites sometimes.  they are here to help people and yet it's like pulling teeth to actually get someone to help you.  it's even worse for the people who have hardly any knowledge of computers.  i know you are a moderator so this is probably falling on deaf ears.  you have offered advice before and i appreciate it.  it just seems like people who claim to want to share their knowledge and help others aren't being that sincere.  guess i'll just keep posting problems or questions that arise in the future and hope some kind soul decides to take mercy on me. 
thanks again for the link

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:07:16 AM »
If duplicate posts were left up everytime we get them it would be a sloppy mess indeed...
The reason they are not prevelant which may leave the no big deal impression is that they are locked and/or cleaned out on a regular basis.

Keep in mind that all who assist here do so as Volunteers and on their own free time...they are not here 24/7....

As to there being no solution offered it may not have been their area of expertise...in that case it's best to not advise...rather than guess at solutions.

At any rate good to hear you resolved the issue.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "