Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: external hard drive readonly (seagate goflex usb 3.0)  (Read 6246 times)

sammy3016

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    external hard drive readonly (seagate goflex usb 3.0)
    « on: November 25, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »
    I have a Seagate goflex with usb 3.0 that is read only that I am having trouble with and hoping someone has a solution. 
    I am logged into my computer as administrator (I have tried all these as user and get the password prompt and type it in but the results are the same).  I have several truecrypt volumes on the seagate I am trying to mount but it is mounting as readonly.  I also copied the same container to another drive and is not readonly on that drive (passport); it mounts just fine.  [Was making 2 copies just in case before making a change.]  I can also mount them from C: without a problem.   It is only from the Seagate drive that is read only. 

I have checked the properties and read-only is not checked.  I checked security and full control is checked for admin and user acct. 

I can delete non-admin required (e.g. .dat .xls .ico).  That same .xls I cannot change.   I also have some folders/files and I cannot delete those either, I get the warning, click continue and let it run and then the warning comes up again (nothing get deleted).  This does not give me the readonly warning.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: external hard drive readonly (seagate goflex usb 3.0)
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:14:30 AM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Please include information about the operating system and type and model of computer. And which Seagate goflex model.

Have you already been in contact with Seagate support?
    Seagate has has  a forum whee some issues have been resolved.
    http://forums.seagate.com/t5/GoFlex-GoFlex-Desk-GoFlex-Pro/Troubleshooting-required-FreeAgent-GoFlex-not-detected/td-p/81522

sammy3016

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »
      Thank you for the speedy reply. 
      My o/s is Windows 7 32-bit (I think it is the professional version).  The external drive is Seagate Goflex Desk Adapter USB3.0.  I did check Seagate's site and they have nothing about my problem.  I did downloaded .msg file. (I really don't like to install software that takes over things I do myself.  I reformat my computer regularly to get rid of that type of software.)  Anyway, I was not able to run the .msg file.   I found an .exe on the link so I installed that but could not get anything to run, just like the person in that post (although my problem is different), however, I see the drive and I can copy files to it, I just can't modify them.    I have tried to contact Seagate but the serial number is so small, I cannot read it and you can't email them without it plus no one will be in until next week. 
      I can't wait to call Seagate on Monday because the warranty expires Sunday.  I will see if I can find the receipt now. It is my fault that I did not discover this problem earlier. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »
      Thank you for sharing.

I really hate it when the manufactures use small print for vital information.

When I can not read a serial number, I take a macro close-up  photo with my Cannon sure shot G3. Then with the zoom I  blow up the image so I can see all the numbers in the serial. Or load it into a Photo program and enlarge it.

Sometimes I even use my scanner set on 600 dpi to read something.

When you call them, you might mention that the Computer Hope forum is waiting for your response to have they handle your issue.

EDIT: Manual for Seagate Geo Flex Free Agent
      http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whitepaper/ug_goflex_home.pdf

Also, in windows 7 you need permission to modify a file you have  written.
      Grant yourself permission. You did that?
      (It is a security feature in case the user is bi-polar.)

sammy3016

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:06:49 PM »
        Thanks again for the reply.  I tried Seagate but could not get through.  Yes, I gave my user (myself) full control and even tried it as administrator. 

I decided to format the thing to ensure all the manufacturer's controls were removed and that appears to have solved it.  I should have thought about that days ago.  I don't need it to backup for me and I don't need it to encrypt for me.  I do that myself.

Thanks again - I am impressed with Computer Hope!!