Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving programs to create space on hard drive  (Read 4539 times)

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

Moving programs to create space on hard drive
    « on: November 28, 2011, 03:53:39 AM »
    On my Windows XP SP3 computer I have a C drive which has 2GB free, and a D drive which has 80GB free

Is there a free program out there which will let me move some programs from C to D, obviously so they still work ok?

many thanks

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Moving programs to create space on hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:40:58 AM »
    Easier to move some of the "D" to the "C", with Easus Partition Master Home Edition.
    http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

kimsland

Intermediate

• Leaving, CH can obviously do without my support.
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 06:51:43 AM »
      Moving installed programs may not be very clean (depending upon the program itself)
      All standalone programs, or even programs that only write to one folder when installing shouldn't be a concern too much (ie There still may be shortcuts and registry entries to be concerned about)

But programs such as an Antivirus, or Office, or even many games, install to multiple folders!
      In this case (although there are 'move programs' that try to do this) your best option is to uninstall these large space consuming programs, and then just cleanly re-install them to your D Drive.
      Think of it this way, if your 'C' Drive fails one day, you may need to do this anyway (re-install programs)

Another option (and probably preferred under the circumstances!) is to get a larger capacity 'C' drive itself.
      This obviously depends upon if C & D are partitions or 2 physical drives? In either case, you may want to think about purchasing a larger drive. 2 Gig left, means you actually prefer the C drive anyway, plus many programs don't have the modify option of installing to another drive anyway.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:01:56 AM »
      Computer Commando got it right. Just use Easeus to move free space from d: to c:

I suggest you use disc imaging software to create an image of your hd before manipulating partitions. The best free disc imaging software is probably Macrium Reflect

kimsland

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:41:55 AM »
        On my Windows XP SP3 computer I have a C drive which has 2GB free, and a D drive which has 80GB free
        Please note, no partitioning software will help you, if these are individual hard drives.
        Again, uninstall/re-install is preferred (in my view!)

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:33:41 AM »
          Many thanks for the replies.

How can I tell if I have one hard drive before I start?

kimsland

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »
            Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc > ok
            Look for the disk that has your hard drives name(s)
            If both are there, then you have one split hard drive
            If there is one there and another on a different disk, you have 2 separate hard drives

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:13 AM »
              In an attempt to free up space on my C drive - I moved (yes moved rather than copy) all my Outlook Express dbx files onto the D drive. It freed up about 4GB, I created a new folder on the D drive for this, and changed the Store Folder location in OE to this new location.

Sadly, I seem to have lost virtually everything! To start with I noticed that for example Sent Items.dbx had shrunk from 1GB to 75kb. Then for some reason most of the .dbx files have disappeared, including the Sent Items.dbx - how can this be?

I have obviously made a bit of a *censored* up, is there any way of finding my old Sent Items.dbx file?

I have re-set the Store File location back to the original so new .dbx files have been created in this location.

kimsland

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:39:09 AM »
                Well, I still use OE myself  ::)
                Since you moved ALL your DBX files, I suspect this would also include the 'Sent Items.dbx' file?
                If so, then all you need to do is 'copy' the Sent Items.dbx file back over the top of your new (much smaller) Sent Items.dbx file (assuming you don't care about recent 'sent' items of course.

So the question remains, do you have a backup on drive D of your Sent Items.dbx (and others) files? (making that 4 gigabyte of data)

You can view the OE 'store folder' location by selecting: Tools -> Options; then the Maintenance tab and click the "Store Folder" button.

By the way, you obviously want this old 'sent items' file? Generally I delete everything in it myself  ;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
                Nobody has told him he can move all of my documents with no problem. It is a built-tin feature of Windows.

Also, he can um-intall programs that came for a CD and then re-install them on the second drive.