Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 4678 times)

NoahF

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Jailbreak til' the end.
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Minecraft
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:48:38 AM »
I haven't a clue what Minecraft! May be a stupid question but could someone tell me! Lol
"Sometimes the thought that counts doesn't taste the best.." - Me.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »
Minecraft is an open world game that allows the user to mine resources and build whatever they can think of using a series of blocks that can be made from dirt, wool, wood, and dozens of other materials. In addition to building structures there are hundreds of in-game items that can be created.

Good video showing how to survive first day in survival mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VWnQHS-ffs
Official site: http://www.minecraft.net/
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:56:43 PM »
Minecraft is surprisingly deeper than I thought. Some videos on youtube show a virtual CPU that has been constructed and shows it operating. A simple search for minecraft CPU should do it.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
Minecraft is surprisingly deeper than I thought. Some videos on youtube show a virtual CPU that has been constructed and shows it operating. A simple search for minecraft CPU should do it.

Yeah, a lot of what some people think of minecraft is probably based on the (IMO) crap "classic" version, which is basically nothing more than a finite world where you can place blocks that have no actual purpose but aesthetics. It was a ALU created using 'redstone' in Minecraft that made me want to try out the paid variant.

As it stands now, there are a few significant parts of minecraft.

1. Exploration

This is pretty critical. And you are going to need to do at least some of this at the start to gather your beginning materials. The world is for practical purposes infinite, so getting more resources is merely a matter of exploring new areas, spelunking and searching the new cave systems you find, and so forth. This also lends itself to

2.Mechanisms

Having to come out of a deep, long mine with a fully loaded inventory on a constant basis can be a huge pain. You can use some of the resources you acquire to build things like minecart tracks; so you can either just ride a minecart home. Or, you could build it so that you can send a  "chest cart" with your stuff back to your house, and at your house you could have various mechanisms that will redirect incoming chest carts into various stopping areas. Then when you come home you can grab their contents and place them into your "normal" stationary treasure chests.

In multiplayer, I find the most fulfilling use of mechanisms is in creating traps for people that are trying to steal my stuff. I made a secret room with a particular arrangement, and then purposely allowed a known "theif" player to follow me. (so he knew about my "secret" room.) Later, I used "sneak" mode (shift, which makes your nametag invisible to other players if there is a wall between you) to watch as he entered that room, clearly with the intent to steal the treasures he suspected I had there. The hallway eventually lead to a obsidian room, with an open iron door, (which requires redstone power to keep open).  He was too distracted by what he perceived as a prize- a block of diamond, one of the rarest and most sought after materials in the game. By this time I had followed him and was now stood outside the door, and watched as he broke the diamond and collected it. This detached a Redstone torch (power source) that was attached to the rear of that block, which stopped the power flow to the door, closing it. That torch breaking also allowed a block of sand to fall, which held up another torch, which held up more sand, etc, causing a cascade reaction. The ceiling fell. He was safe. He turned around and saw me outside the door, which was now closed. I could almost hear the gears working in his head trying to figure out why the door would be closed. Until he looked up and saw the wall of lava that was now going to fall on his head. It was most gratifying watching them try to break the iron door in time to escape and fail miserably (since I machined the trap in such a way as to not allow  that). Was totally worth the 9 diamond that I used to make the block.

Mechanisms can be made for nearly anything; semi-automatic wheat, melon, reed, and pumpkin farms, machines designed to kill enemies or make them easier for you to kill, such as the "blaze cone" idea which is used for killing one of the enemies added in a recent patch, the "Blaze" (I made one of these :P.

At the moment it is one of the few games I've played consistently over the past year since I first bought it in Alpha.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:44:40 AM »
Mechanisms can be made for nearly anything; semi-automatic wheat, melon, reed, and pumpkin farms, machines designed to kill enemies or make them easier for you to kill, such as the "blaze cone" idea which is used for killing one of the enemies added in a recent patch, the "Blaze" (I made one of these :P.

Very cool. :)
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

blackrainbow

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »
i think that CH should have a minecraft server for every user of the forum to come on ad create all sort of stuff, to the OP i highly recomend buying it i have spent many hours build pirate ships with tnt cannons or build fortresses with my friends, but i have recently started to spend more time making circits with red stone,

Do Not Be Fooled By The 16 bit graphic it is truly an amzing sand box

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »
super mario's been emulated with 18 million blocks in minecraft. it looks decent too.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:08:55 PM »
super mario's been emulated with 18 million blocks in minecraft. it looks decent too.  :)
I can't find any references to this.

edit: here it is

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245378/super_mario_land_gets_emulated_in_minecraft_with_18_million_blocks.html

meh. I find the use of the in-game noteblocks interesting. Most important to note is that it is a stop-motion; the game isn't actually being emulated within minecraft,
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
i think that CH should have a minecraft server for every user of the forum to come on ad create all sort of stuff, to the OP i highly recomend buying it i have spent many hours build pirate ships with tnt cannons or build fortresses with my friends, but i have recently started to spend more time making circits with red stone,

Well honestly I do actually have a Minecraft server going. I mainly did it for my dad and nephew who are really into the game and wanted a place to work together. If you're interested in checking it out let me know and I'll send you the details.
-Albert Einstein

Tristin

Starter

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »
    Well i have the PC version of this game and this game is very steady and is very relaxed i have spent many hours to play this game and still i am now addicted of this game and plays daily.